Coopers Community

Any indicators to tell if secondary fermentation is working?

stevo1957

Hi all,

First brew with the craft kit was bottled (in PET bottles) on Tuesday. 

Are there any indicators to tell if the fermentation is continuing as it should?

There is no sign of bubbles or anything to indicate fermentation is progressing. Is this normal?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, stevo1957 said:

Hi all,

Are there any indicators to tell if the fermentation is continuing as it should?

There is no sign of bubbles or anything to indicate fermentation is progressing. Is this normal?

Condensation inside the bottle at the top in the headspace and if using plastic bottles they will become harder to squeeze.

Good luck with the first brew I am sure it will be good 🍻 

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, stevo1957 said:

Hi all,

After a few days the PET bottle will become harder, after a week & further it will become hard, after 14 days the bottles should be quite hard & you should see a layer of yeast on the bottom.

Don't shake the bottles & store them upright in a dark cool place (ideal is 18c) After 14 days you could put one in the fridge for 24 hours & try it but they will be best left for a few weeks to mature properly. Bubbles usually appear around the neck/top of the bottle when they are fully carbonated.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

After a few days the PET bottle will become harder, after a week & further it will become hard, after 14 days the bottles should be quite hard & you should see a layer of yeast on the bottom.

Don't shake the bottles & store them upright in a dark cool place (ideal is 18c) After 14 days you could put one in the fridge for 24 hours & try it but they will be best left for a few weeks to mature properly. Bubbles usually appear around the neck/top of the bottle when they are fully carbonated.

Last few brews I have layed the 5 long necks (the rest are stubbies) I do for the 4-5 days I keep them warm. Then give them a bit of a shake and store them upright. 

I don't see an issue but will find out in a few weeks I guess. 🤔

I just looked at a few long necks with a light behind them. About every second batch has a very small amount/film of sediment along the side of the bottle. About 25mm wide. Will see when I drink them. 🙄

Edited by oldbloke
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, oldbloke said:

Last few brews I have layed the 5 long necks (the rest are stubbies) I do for the 4-5 days I keep them warm.

After all these Years, you are still experimenting

Good to see

Look forward to hearing your results.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, oldbloke said:

Last few brews I have layed the 5 long necks (the rest are stubbies) I do for the 4-5 days I keep them warm. Then give them a bit of a shake and store them upright. 

I don't see an issue but will find out in a few weeks I guess. 🤔

I just looked at a few long necks with a light behind them. About every second batch has a very small amount/film of sediment along the side of the bottle. About 25mm wide. Will see when I drink them. 🙄

I store mine in these wine bottle boxes & just fridge them as I need them, they are stored in an area behind a door which is really like a cupboard & I never shake them (they are glass 💣) asking for trouble. I don't use PET bottles, but you shouldn't shake them either.

Food for thought .....

In general there is no reason to do this as it just prolongs the settling out of all the yeast. If you had good yeast health going into the bottling phase all should be fine. If your bottles don't carb up, or they seem inconsistently carbonated, or you over chill the bottle due to poor storage prior to carbing; these are times to try to rouse the yeast. But even then, I wouldn't shake them. Upside down with gently swirling would be the best way.

A safety note regarding glass and carbed bottles: You really have no idea if a glass bottle is carbed up until you open it. It's very conceivable that if you have some bottles that are flat and some that are carbed due to poor sugar distribution you might have some very highly carbed bottles sitting there alongside flat ones. Starting to shake them because one suspects the yeast is just not doing its job may lead to a burst bottle. If a beer is overcarbed, and you agitate it, and rouse up all that wonderful nucleating yeast sediment in the bottle you could be create an explosive glass hand grenade. So use a towel and cover each bottle if you suspect that type of danger.

20220526_112744.jpg

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

After all these Years, you are still experimenting

Good to see

Look forward to hearing your results.

Well, I just changed the way I keep them warm for secondary fermentation. The easiest and most efficient way required I lay down the 5 bottles. I'm a bit surprised that after shaking, the Yeast film is along the side. I honestly thought it would all settle to the bottom. Obviously I was wrong.

But not concerned.  It's all dark beer so can't see it in the glass anyway. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To clarify. They only lay down for the first few days. And I don't shake them like a kids rattle, I invert quickly a few times.

Then stand upright for long term storage. Usually 6 months or more.

Edited by oldbloke