Coopers Community

No foaming during fermentation yet

stevo1957

First brew is underway.....Mr Beer.Bewitched Ale, in the craft brew kit.

Mixed on Thursday afternoon.

Fv was washed with hot water as per instruction for first use and mix was in date.

4 days in  some condensation has formed but no foam yet and a lack of bubbles.

I have it in a storeroom at home. Generally dark with temp fairly constant at 20 / 21 C.

Starting gravity was 1.039. 

I also note the fermenting smell I had for the first few days has subsided.

Is this a normal situation?

20220926_222041.jpg

• Like 2

I actually just took a hydrometer measurement now.

Sample was cloudy and very foamy so after tapping the tube for a while to get rid of the foam, I got a SG reading of 1.010.

Guess I might be heading in the right direction afterall.  Seems to indicate a lot of fermentation has taken place in only 4 days.

The Mr Beer instructions that came with the extract say leave for 10 days........the Coopers videos say check SG after 6 days and then daily, until SG reading stabilises, then bottle.
Which directions should I follow and should I wait until Wednesday now for the next SG check or test again tomorrow?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stevo1957 said:

Sample was cloudy and very foamy so after tapping the tube for a while to get rid of the foam, I got a SG reading of 1.010.

Guess I might be heading in the right direction afterall.  Seems to indicate a lot of fermentation has taken place in only 4 days.

The Mr Beer instructions that came with the extract say leave for 10 days........the Coopers videos say check SG after 6 days and then daily, until SG reading stabilises, then bottle.
Which directions should I follow and should I wait until Wednesday now for the next SG check or test again tomorrow?

Bit odd, no froth at all. But the hydrometer never lies. It's done.

Both instructions are correct.

Personally I just check after a day, if it's got froth just forget about it for about 8-10 days then bottle.

Once the fermentation starts it will just continue until all the sugars are used up. Unless something drastic happens like a 10 deg temperature drop.

Edited by oldbloke
  • Like 3

Hi @stevo1957,

I started brewing in January this year, and now I'm onto brew no.10. It is a steep learning curve! I also started with a Coopers kit and instructions , and don't know how many times I watched Cooper's learner's video. As you are finding out; advice from the Coopers Community is also very helpful. 

I have certainly followed the 'sanitise, sanitise, sanitise' mantra, and I haven't had a dodgy brew.  My favourite so far is a Coopers Australian Pale Ale with additional malt extract and hops. It took me a while to get brave enough to try this. 

I hope your first brew is very tasty.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, stevo1957 said:

Personally I’d give it another couple of days before testing again. It’s only been four days, it might still drop a bit further. The yeast is also processing the byproducts of fermentation, so just leave it for now to do it’s job.

Most of my brews stay in the FV  for 8-14 days.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Personally I’d give it another couple of days before testing again. It’s only been four days, it might still drop a bit further. The yeast is also processing the byproducts of fermentation, so just leave it for now to do it’s job.

Most of my brews stay in the FV  for 8-14 days.

I agree Toner, mine always stay in the FV for 14 days, a practice I have followed for years same as my tasting regime, I wait until 14 days before I try one (bottled) but I have been guilty of sneaking a taste after 12-13 days. We all no longer improves the brew.

Regarding readings, well I am not advising this to anyone that hasn't been brewing for years but I always take a SG reading & mostly don't bother with anymore until bottling/kegging day.

I have even forgotten to take an FG reading but if it is the same brew with the same ingredients/measurements it always turns out fine without issue.

I repeat it is not good practice for anyone inexperienced or when you are trying a new recipe.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Regarding readings

I agree with @Classic Brewing Co. As a fairly new brewer who is trying different brands and brewing extracts and trying added extras; I have found checking the SG gives me information about what is happening in the brew. - Looks don't tell the whole story! 

And are you keeping notes? I have an exercise book, and after only 10 brews it is very handy to look back and compare readings and other info.

Edited by jennyss
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, jennyss said:

I agree with @Classic Brewing Co. As a fairly new brewer who is trying different brands and brewing extracts and trying added extras; I have found checking the SG gives me information about what is happening in the brew. - Looks don't tell the whole story! 

And are you keeping notes? I have an exercise book, and after only 10 brews it is very handy to look back and compare readings and other info.

Most definitely Jenny don't stop taking readings as they will tell you a lot about your brew & of course determine the final fermentation, most importantly give you piece of mind when you bottle as you don't want to end up with beer bombs. Especially if you are using glass.

Yes, I do keep notes on every brew, it is very important to have this info for future reference & comparison of the brews. Mine are fairly basic however it tells me everything I need to know, some even keep tasting notes & more but that's up to the individual, I find the business of tasting very important, so I just get on with it instead of writing it all down 🤣

Below are a few random pages of notes including the current brew, Pale Ale.

Continue to use your Hydrometer as per instructions & you will have accurate records of each brew.

Cheers Phil.

20220927_091055.jpg

20220927_091130.jpg

20220927_091203.jpg

• Like 3

@stevo1957, Give you a tip Stevo.   And welcome to this very fine forum.

When you take your first gravity sample just 1/4 fill the test tube and then tip it out.  This clears out any cold break material from the tap assembly which can alter your original gravity reading.  Then take a proper first sample, say half a test tube a little AFTER you have pitched your yeast.  This is so some yeast end up in the test tube. Once you have recorded this SG number remove the hydrometer from the test tube leaving the wort sample in the tube preserving it and then cover the test tube with some kitchen aluminium foil to stop wild yeasts getting at it.   Wash and clean the hydrometer and store it in a safe place. 

Leave this original preserved sample next to your FV so its in the same temperature environment, obviously somewhere where it will not get knocked over etc.  You can then, a few days later put your hydrometer back into this same preserved sample and retest without having to draw off more beer.  You would not do the second hydrometer reading until you see all bubbling activity stop in the test tube itself.  In effect the test tube becomes a second FV as it's fermentation runs in parallel with what is the actual going on in your FV. 

When you have confirmed that the first sample you still have in your test tube has reached final gravity over a couple of days then tip it out and draw a fresh sample from the FV.  Again drawing 1/4 of a test tube and tipping it immediately to flush the tap assembly of any yeast trub.  Then 1/2 filling the test tube with clean ample and retesting to confirm it is actually at the final gravity.

This technique is particularly useful when brewing a small batch as in a craft fermenter kit.  If you keep taking samples you will end up with very little beer.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

@stevo1957, Give you a tip Stevo.   And welcome to this very fine forum.

When you take your first gravity sample just 1/4 fill the test tube and then tip it out.  This clears out any cold break material from the tap assembly which can alter your original gravity reading.  Then take a proper first sample, say half a test tube a little AFTER you have pitched your yeast.  This is so some yeast end up in the test tube. Once you have recorded this SG number remove the hydrometer from the test tube leaving the wort sample in the tube preserving it and then cover the test tube with some kitchen aluminium foil to stop wild yeasts getting at it.   Wash and clean the hydrometer and store it in a safe place. 

Leave this original preserved sample next to your FV so its in the same temperature environment, obviously somewhere where it will not get knocked over etc.  You can then, a few days later put your hydrometer back into this same preserved sample and retest without having to draw off more beer.  You would not do the second hydrometer reading until you see all bubbling activity stop in the test tube itself.  In effect the test tube becomes a second FV as it's fermentation runs in parallel with what is the actual going on in your FV. 

When you have confirmed that the first sample you still have in your test tube has reached final gravity over a couple of days then tip it out and draw a fresh sample from the FV.  Again drawing 1/4 of a test tube and tipping it immediately to flush the tap assembly of any yeast trub.  Then 1/2 filling the test tube with clean ample and retesting to confirm it is actually at the final gravity.

This technique is particularly useful when brewing a small batch as in a craft fermenter kit.  If you keep taking samples you will end up with very little beer.

On the rare occasions I sample that's what I do.

It's blasphemy to waste good beer. 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2