Coopers Community

Single hop addition

Hi everyone, just recently signed up and first post here. What a great forum, lots of good info and everyone seems to have fun and be really helpful. I started home brewing 20 years back, but only briefly. Got back into it 18 months ago and was amazed by how far things had come along, its great. Done 22 batches since getting back into it and have been slowly progressing to adding some grains, hops etc to mix things up and learn stuff with each brew. Looking at doing some brews in the near term with unhopped extract and doing all the bittering etc myself. A question I have for the forum is what are people's thoughts on single flavour/ aroma hop additions? Seems that people generally still stick to multiple additions (15, 5 mins, flame out etc). But I came across this and thought it was interesting and suggests that a single hop addition (outside of bittering addition obviously) is the go. Thoughts? https://beersmith.com/blog/2022/05/05/why-most-beer-brewers-today-use-a-single-boil-addition/

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Beer here now said:

Hi everyone, just recently signed up and first post here. What a great forum, lots of good info and everyone seems to have fun and be really helpful. I started home brewing 20 years back, but only briefly. Got back into it 18 months ago and was amazed by how far things had come along, its great. Done 22 batches since getting back into it and have been slowly progressing to adding some grains, hops etc to mix things up and learn stuff with each brew. Looking at doing some brews in the near term with unhopped extract and doing all the bittering etc myself. A question I have for the forum is what are people's thoughts on single flavour/ aroma hop additions? Seems that people generally still stick to multiple additions (15, 5 mins, flame out etc). But I came across this and thought it was interesting and suggests that a single hop addition (outside of bittering addition obviously) is the go. Thoughts? https://beersmith.com/blog/2022/05/05/why-most-beer-brewers-today-use-a-single-boil-addition/

Hey BHN, welcome to the Forum.

The beauty of Extract Brewing, where you control the hopping schedule, is you can do whatever you want/like.  My recipes vary depending on what I am trying to brew.  So I do not follow a specific hopping schedule.  Lately, I have been doing some single hop Pale Ales.  With them I do a full boil addition, a 10 minute addition, a hop steep addition at 75-80°C, and a dry hop.  I like what this combination gives these brews.

• Like 5

Hey @Beer here now  
Unfortunately I couldn’t open that link on the phone but will try on the pc later. 
Love the idea of using unhopped extract to make your own creations. When I use unhopped extract I tend to use a bittering addition at 30 minutes, and then a late addition at flameout (so 99 degrees basically) and then leave it off the heat for 20 minutes, before cooling and adding to the fermenter. 
That seems to work well for me. 
I don’t tend to dry hop much unless I know I’ll be drinking the beer within 4 weeks, as I find the dry hop flavour fades quickly. 
Good luck and cheers. 
Love to hear back from you after you brew to let us know the results 👍🍻

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Love the idea of using unhopped extract to make your own creations. When I use unhopped extract I tend to use a bittering addition at 30 minutes, and then a late addition at flameout (so 99 degrees basically) and then leave it off the heat for 20 minutes, before cooling and adding to the fermenter. 

Hey Toner, I've done a few K&K's this way too. One of my all time fav's was a very drinkable aussie lager. From memory it was a recipe from Mitch. Really simple. POR boil with the extract and  about 600 grams of sugar added to that. I mean it wasn't for a tasting session it was def for a hot summer day with the BBQ going.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mickep said:

Hey Toner, I've done a few K&K's this way too. One of my all time fav's was a very drinkable aussie lager. From memory it was a recipe from Mitch. Really simple. POR boil with the extract and  about 600 grams of sugar added to that. I mean it wasn't for a tasting session it was def for a hot summer day with the BBQ going.

Yeah Mick the Aussie lager is a great beer in my book. Both @MitchBastardand @iBooz2 have been great sharing their recipes which I have used to shape my own version of “Leigh’s Lager”.  The last one I did was bittered with Superpride, and PoR at flameout. It’s yum. 
I also like hoppy pale ales, English bitters and other beers but the lager will always be a touch stone for me - the result of a mis-spent youth 😇

Cheers and happy brewing to all

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Yeah Mick the Aussie lager is a great beer in my book. Both @MitchBastardand @iBooz2 have been great sharing their recipes which I have used to shape my own version of “Leigh’s Lager”.  The last one I did was bittered with Superpride, and PoR at flameout. It’s yum. 
I also like hoppy pale ales, English bitters and other beers but the lager will always be a touch stone for me - the result of a mis-spent youth 😇

Cheers and happy brewing to all

Cheers mate 🤘🏻🤘🏻

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Both @MitchBastardand @iBooz2 have been great sharing their recipes which I have used to shape my own version of “Leigh’s Lager”.  

Toner, I've got an actual  @iBooz2 Al's AG Leigh's lager in the ferment fridge right now - can't believe he did that for me....Following his strict fermentation regime to the letter for the DL yeast...it's been in there now for about 3 weeks and got about another week to go. It smells blaaaaarrrrrrdy beautiful already. Temps on the way down now after its diacetyl nap - decreasing 2 degrees a day til I reach about 2 degrees C and then let is sit there for a few days and then keg....very excited to have a sip of this one.

• Like 3

Thanks all, sorry for the delayed response. Really appreciate the input guys, and the welcome. I love the infinite possibilities with brewing, always something to try hey. That's interesting Tone boy what you say re dry hips fading, I have noticed that. Will be interesting to see what happens with the hop tea I have been adding at bottling. Will have to try put a few bottles aside so I don't drink them all lol. One of the current brews I am drinking is Coopers pale ale with amber malt, some crystal and hopped with mosaic and galaxy as a tea. The aroma is amazing, tastes pretty good too 😋 

• Like 3

On 8/5/2022 at 9:10 AM, Mickep said:

Welcome BHN, this is a great forum. So much knowledge and helpful advice on offer from some very kind experienced brewers. Hope to see your pics of your beers real soon.

No worries will have to get onto that, though technology is not my strength lol. Thanks again for the welcome 😊 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 11:12 AM, Tone boy said:

Hey @Beer here now  
Unfortunately I couldn’t open that link on the phone but will try on the pc later. 
That seems to work well for me. 
I don’t tend to dry hop much unless I know I’ll be drinking the beer within 4 weeks, as I find the dry hop flavour fades quickly. 
Good luck and cheers. 
Love to hear back from you after you brew to let us know the results 👍🍻

Not sure if you ended up getting that link to work? Interesting read though. As was John Palmer's online book/ website. I assume all have read John Palmer's stuff? If not, also really worth a read http://howtobrew.com/book/introduction

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Beer here now said:

Not sure if you ended up getting that link to work? Interesting read though. As was John Palmer's online book/ website. I assume all have read John Palmer's stuff? If not, also really worth a read http://howtobrew.com/book/introduction

Yep got the link to open. Thanks for posting that.
Pretty much confirmed what I have read elsewhere about “flavor “ additions. Which is why I like a flameout addition instead.

Also some interesting research out there on dry hopping during a cold crash (so about 2 degrees C) for no more than 24 hours has excellent results. So keen to try that. 
Cheers

Edited by Tone boy
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Yep got the link to open. Thanks for posting that.
Pretty much confirmed what I have read elsewhere about “flavor “ additions. Which is why I like a flameout addition instead.

Also some interesting research out there on dry hopping during a cold crash (so about 2 degrees C) for no more than 24 hours has excellent results. So keen to try that. 
Cheers

Yeah reading that, definitely seems like flame out is the go in order to get the most from your hops. That dry hopping at 2 degrees sounds really interesting, will have to give that a shot too. Let us know how you get on, would be keen to hear. I have been trying to be disciplined the last few brews, making the same beer, but changing one thing to get a feel for the difference it makes. Quite interesting, but also a struggle to stay diseplined lol. Do you have any links/ suggested reading re the cold crash dry hop?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Beer here now said:

Yeah reading that, definitely seems like flame out is the go in order to get the most from your hops. That dry hopping at 2 degrees sounds really interesting, will have to give that a shot too. Let us know how you get on, would be keen to hear. I have been trying to be disciplined the last few brews, making the same beer, but changing one thing to get a feel for the difference it makes. Quite interesting, but also a struggle to stay diseplined lol. Do you have any links/ suggested reading re the cold crash dry hop?

Happy reading BHN 

http://scottjanish.com/a-case-for-short-and-cool-dry-hopping/

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Happy reading BHN

@Tone boy, I opened up the link to the book on 'short and cool dry hopping'. Oh My Goodness,  there is a lot of science in there - it is very interesting, but at five minutes to beer time that was too much for me. I have saved the reference to my read later basket. 

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, jennyss said:

@Tone boy, I opened up the link to the book on 'short and cool dry hopping'. Oh My Goodness,  there is a lot of science in there - it is very interesting, but at five minutes to beer time that was too much for me. I have saved the reference to my read later basket. 

I like your style Jenny, you cannot interrupt beer time !! 🤭

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Lolz so true. 🤣🍻

• Like 1
  • Haha 1