Coopers Community

Coconut in Beer?

37 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Coconut in Beer?

Nah just put hops in, it's beer not a fruit salad, anyway don't worry about me, we have been drinking beer for centuries with a true & tried method, I can't understand why you would want all of the fruit & veg in it but that is only my humble opinion.

I reckon I have tried some of the weirdest additions to beers over the years & I have come to the conclusion I don't like any of them.

As I said that is only my opinion so please experiment to your hearts consent.

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Nah just put hops in, it's beer not a fruit salad, anyway don't worry about me, we have been drinking beer for centuries with a true & tried method, I can't understand why you would want all of the fruit & veg in it but that is only my humble opinion.

I reckon I have tried some of the weirdest additions to beers over the years & I have come to the conclusion I don't like any of them.

As I said that is only my opinion so please experiment to your hearts consent.

Cheers.

I really accept your opinion. I am also still no fan of perfumed flower water or bile flavor which you find in most commercial craft beers, but experimenting with some of the Coopers recipes I found some tasty brews, this one is one of them.

Pufferfish Coco-Hefe.pdf

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Popo said:

Coconut is good. I've put it in a few with good results. Toasted flakes.

I've seen the pufferfish recipe before but yet to try a wheat with coconut. Keen to hear how you find it. Good luck 👍🏽

Sabro Hops are meant to give notes/flavour of coconut will try an all sabro brew one day.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Popo said:

Coconut is good. I've put it in a few with good results. Toasted flakes.

I've seen the pufferfish recipe before but yet to try a wheat with coconut. Keen to hear how you find it. Good luck 👍🏽

My first try with desiccated coconut was very nice but the coconut flavor was a little bit too subtle. Catching a whiff of toasted flakes and work made me want to brew it again. The aroma of toasted flakes is much sweeter and coconuttier.

It is not really a wheat beer as the base is Mr.Beer's Golden Ale, but somehow it reminded me of a HefeWeizen. I'll keep you informed.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My second batch of the Coco Hefe is now 3 weeks in the bottle and it is really nice, much nuttier with toasted flakes than with desiccated coconut. It will be still nicer in a week or two. I did a double batch as the first one finished too quickly.

I can only recommend the Pufferfish recipe.

My next try with coconut will be some form of stout.

• Like 2