Coopers Community

Passion Peach Pale Ale - January 2022 Craft Recipe of the Month

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

tried to get the ingredients today. Wanting to do a double batch my local brew shop gave me one can of coopers pale ale instead of two Mr. Beer North West Pale Ale. Will this be enough to make an 18 l batch, or do I have to add some dextrose?

I am not exactly clear on what you are asking but I see it as the Mr Beer 1.3kg cans make a great beer up to 8.5l in the Craft Brew Kit, however if you are saying using the can of Coopers 1.7kg can instead with addition of BE2 or 1-1.5kg LDME it is just a normal brew capable of 23l - personally I wouldn't use Dextrose. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I am not exactly clear on what you are asking but I see it as the Mr Beer 1.3kg cans make a great beer up to 8.5l in the Craft Brew Kit, however if you are saying using the can of Coopers 1.7kg can instead with addition of BE2 or 1-1.5kg LDME it is just a normal brew capable of 23l - personally I wouldn't use Dextrose. 

I wanted to make two recipes in one go (18 litres), but as the shop only had one can of MrBeer North West ale he gave me one can of coopers pale ale instead of two Mr Beer’s, saying this will do the job.

I could use 2 cans of mr beer’s golden ale which I have at home?

2 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

tried to get the ingredients today. Wanting to do a double batch my local brew shop gave me one can of coopers pale ale instead of two Mr. Beer North West Pale Ale. Will this be enough to make an 18 l batch, or do I have to add some dextrose?

I'm no good with breaking recipes into numbers but if you use 1 can of 1.7kg Pale Ale as opposed to 2 x 1.3kg Mr Beers it should do the job nicely for you and also reduce your ABV a bit. You can add dextrose but it won't add much to your beer apart from increasing the alcohol content.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I'm no good with breaking recipes into numbers but if you use 1 can of 1.7kg Pale Ale as opposed to 2 x 1.3kg Mr Beers it should do the job nicely for you and also reduce your ABV a bit. You can add dextrose but it won't add much to your beer apart from increasing the alcohol content.

Just using my very basic mathematical skills (for want of a better description) I think you'll end up with an ABV in the 4.8-5.3% range if you use a 1,7kg tin at 18 litres. That's without adding dextrose. I'm sure someone on here that knows how to do brew calculations can give you a more accurate figure.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BrewLizard said:

1.7 is a far cry from 2.6.

You could brew a smaller volume, or add (2.6-1.7)*0.8 ~= 750 grams dry malt extract. It will end up less bitter.

My apologies @Brauhaus Fritz. Just disregard what I wrote above. I was basing my rough calculation on the Passion Pale being 7.5% but it was another beer you had that was 7.5%. I was thinking if 2 x 1.3kg Mr Beers = 7.5% then 1.7kg Coopers Pale would be about 70% of that.
Thanks for your comment @BrewLizard.    It woke me to my error.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

I wanted to make two recipes in one go (18 litres), but as the shop only had one can of MrBeer North West ale he gave me one can of coopers pale ale instead of two Mr Beer’s, saying this will do the job.

I could use 2 cans of mr beer’s golden ale which I have at home?

Just to give you an idea of the likely outcomes from several possible combinations:

1. The base recipe as is: ABV = 5.4%; IBU = 60; EBC = 13
  2. If you use 2 cans Mr Beer Golden Ale and brew 18 litres it will be half the bitterness and paler in colour: ABV = 5.4%; IBU = 29; EBC = 8
  3. If you use 1 can Coopers Pale Ale and brew to 18 litres the ABV and the bitterness will be way off.  It might be a nice beer, but not what the recipe intended: ABV = 3.8%; IBU = 32; EBC = 9
  4. If you use 1 can Coopers Pale Ale and brew to 12 litres it will be pretty close: ABV = 5.3%; IBU = 48; EBC = 13
  5. If you use 1 can Coopers Pale Ale plus 750g Light Dry Malt (as @BrewLizard appropriately suggests) and brew to 18 litres it will be close, back lack some bitterness (by being a bit more diluted): ABV 5.3%; IBU 32; EBC = 11

The choice is yours.  If you want something close to the intended recipe, go with No. 4.  If you want 18 litres of beer go with 5.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Just to give you an idea of the likely outcomes from several possible combinations:

2. If you use 2 cans Mr Beer Golden Ale and brew 18 litres it will be half the bitterness and paler in colour: ABV = 5.4%; IBU = 29; EBC = 8
  3. If you use 1 can Coopers Pale Ale and brew to 18 litres the ABV and the bitterness will be way off.  It might be a nice beer, but not what the recipe intended: ABV = 3.8%; IBU = 32; EBC = 9
  4. If you use 1 can Coopers Pale Ale and brew to 12 litres it will be pretty close: ABV = 5.3%; IBU = 48; EBC = 13
  5. If you use 1 can Coopers Pale Ale plus 750g Light Dry Malt (as @BrewLizard appropriately suggests) and brew to 18 litres it will be close, back lack some bitterness (by being a bit more diluted): ABV 5.3%; IBU 32; EBC = 11

The choice is yours.  If you want something close to the intended recipe, go with No. 4.  If you want 18 litres of beer go with 5.

Mariska hargitay, Shamus. You are the beer guru.
In case you're wondering - Mariska Hargitay is an American TV drama actress but Mike Myers also used the phrase "Mariska hargitay" as a greeting of goodwill in the movie The Love Guru.  🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Thanks Seamus, just to clarify for myself: as I intended to double the amount of hops as well ( and the yeast) following step 5 I will still loose some bitterness?

i am still relatively new to brewing so I still figure lots of things out.

I made some 9liter batches of beer, but as most brews where quite good it was never enough

• Like 1

Just now, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Thanks Seamus, just to clarify for myself: as I intended to double the amount of hops as well ( and the yeast) following step 5 I will still loose some bitterness?

I made some 9liter batches of beer, but as most brews where quite good it was never enough

Sorry to call you Seamus, Shamus 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Hi BHF, most of the bitterness comes from the hopped extract.  The hop additions:  Steeping might add a tiny bit of bitterness and dry hopping adds none.  So while doubling the hops is the right thing to do when doing a double batch, in this case it does not add much bitterness.

The more you dilute the Coopers hopped extract cans, the less bitter they become.  See this link for how bitterness is calculated for the Coopers cans https://www.diybeer.com/au//faqs#FAQ_4_11

I did not want to add an extra layer of options, but you could also do a shortish hop boil with a bit of a neutral hop like Magnum.  20g boiled in 4 litres of water for 30 minutes with half of the Light Dry Malt, then cooled, strained and added to the fermenter will add 25-30 IBU's.  If you did that with Option 5, you would get real close to the intended beer.

I use my version of the IanH spreadsheet to play around with ingredients, specially when I do not have the actual ingredients a recipe calls for.  I used it to calculate all the options above.   Here's a copy of mine.  Download it somewhere safe.  When doing a new recipe do a "Save As" first so you do not stuff up your original.  Or just come back here and download it again.

Kit & Extract Beer Designer V4.1.9 (SOS Mods).xls

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi BHF, most of the bitterness comes from the hopped extract.  The hop additions:  Steeping might add a tiny bit of bitterness and dry hopping adds none.  So while doubling the hops is the right thing to do when doing a double batch, in this case it does not add much bitterness.

The more you dilute the Coopers hopped extract cans, the less bitter they become.  See this link for how bitterness is calculated for the Coopers cans https://www.diybeer.com/au//faqs#FAQ_4_11

I did not want to add an extra layer of options, but you could also do a shortish hop boil with a bit of a neutral hop like Magnum.  20g boiled in 4 litres of water for 30 minutes with half of the Light Dry Malt, then cooled, strained and added to the fermenter will add 25-30 IBU's.  If you did that with Option 5, you would get real close to the intended beer.

I use my version of the IanH spreadsheet to play around with ingredients, specially when I do not have the actual ingredients a recipe calls for.  I used it to calculate all the options above.   Here's a copy of mine.  Download it somewhere safe.  When doing a new recipe do a "Save As" first so you do not stuff up your original.  Or just come back here and download it again.

Kit & Extract Beer Designer V4.1.9 (SOS Mods).xls 1.15 MB · 0 downloads

Thank you so much Shamus

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

I will follow step 5 as you originally suggested, I also will use Callista hops, as I could not get hold of any HS-Sitiva. I will let you know how it will turn out. Thanks again

I forgot to mention that, although the recipe for a 9 litre batch calls for an 11g packet of Lallemand Verdant IPA yeast, one packet should be enough for a double batch too.  I really like that yeast.  If you have bought two packets, save one for another brew.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...