Coopers Community

Poor head quick fix

Oldbloke

35 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I was under the impression that Headmaster glasses have some sort of process going on at the bottom of the glass to aid head retention, some of my old schooner glasses also have it.

yes they do have if you look on the bottom of a headmaster you will see small wire grid  and if you look inside a headmaster the glass looks a bit skewiff  which creates the nucleation points

2 hours ago, ozdevil said:

i do apologise @oldbloke my previous post was a bit icy, and I shouldn't post or be on a pc when i have had skinful its a bad habit of mine.

i understood your intentions 

before the nucleated glasses (etched glasses)  alot of homebrewers got a diamond tipped jig that would fit in a drill and would rough up the bottom of the glass
creating a nucleated  bottom.

Thats OK.

Yes, I roughed up a couple of glasses for my father years ago. Just some quartz gravel and a hammer handle. A bit of twisting and job done.

Edited by oldbloke
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, disgruntled said:

Brewing better beer is also a well known method

It's taken me a few disappointing batches but I've certainly learnt the lesson that secondary fermentation needs the same amount of care as primary fermentation.  My initial "sticking them in a box by the radiator" method was a bust.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Space said:

It's taken me a few disappointing batches but I've certainly learnt the lesson that secondary fermentation needs the same amount of care as primary fermentation.  My initial "sticking them in a box by the radiator" method was a bust.

You are correct in what you say.  If you consider the secondary fermentation in the bottle as an extension of the brewing process in the FV, with the same temperature control, all things being equal it will contribute to very good and predictable outcome.

I do the brewing in a fermenting fridge (Ales or Lager) at a constant temperature for the style, bottle when ready then put the bottles back in the same FF same temperature for secondary fermentation and conditioning and leave them there.

I am lucky enough to have collected several fermenting fridges over time which enables me to "keep the flow going".

These Fermenting fridges were the best investment I have made with respect to making good beer (In my opinion) If you haven't got temperature control perhaps you are not getting the most out of your effort and ingredients.

However I know that many brewers say they get good results without temperature control and that's the good thing about brewing no one has to stick to one method as the overall process is as flexible as you want to make it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

You are correct in what you say.  If you consider the secondary fermentation in as an extension of the brewing process in the FV, with the same control, all things being equal it will contribute to very good and predictable outcome.

I do the brewing in a fermenting (Ales or Lager) at a constant for the style, when ready then put back in the same FF same temperature for secondary fermentation and conditioning and leave them there.

I am lucky enough to have collected several fermenting fridges over time which enables me to "keep the flow going".

These Fermenting fridges were the best I have made with respect to making good beer (In my opinion) If you haven't got control you are not getting the most out of your and ingredients.

However I know that many brewers say they get good results without temperature control and that's the good thing about brewing no one has to stick to one as the overall process is as flexible as you want to make it.

I have one fridge but it's the next size up from an under counter one and with a little careful arrangement I can now fit in my 23 litre FV and a complete load of bottles, so as one lot finishes it can go back in the same fridge with the next load.

It's been a game changer.   My spin on Coopers Mexican Cerveza is now tastier than whatever I can buy from the local Co-op and less than a quarter of the price.  This is surely the sweet spot of brewing.

And it's mostly down to the advice from this board, so you guys get a round of virtual applause.

• Like 7