Coopers Community

DUVEL Clone

iBooz2

22 hours ago, stquinto said:

Haven't got a reply yet but I found this on the technical specs on their site.

I wrote again to ask for suggestions as to the dosage.

If my beer is 8°, and I want 4.3 g/l of CO2 (the Duvel amount) it would be between 7 and 14 g/hL, we'll say 10 - 11 g/hL. So for 20 l I woud need 2g....

Each pack is 20G so that would cover 200 l ! On their site it says to use within 7 days once opened .

I have a digital scale but for fractions of grams I would need a drug dealers scale I suppose.

I have come across a recipe for Westvleteren 12 on Brewfather which suggested this :

If you bottle the beer, I would consider pitching 2 grams of Fermentis F-2 bottle yeast, since these long secondaries sometimes compromises the yeast. 
so that would sound about right for 2g: my Duvel will be less strong than the Westvleteren, but also more CO2, so should be OK.

Hopefully they'll reply though.

image.png

Yeah seems to back up the small yeast input. I'd wait for fermentis though or give em the hurry up. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2022 at 1:52 PM, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Yeah seems to back up the small yeast input. I'd wait for fermentis though or give em the hurry up. 

No reply from the b*ggers yet - I've emailed them twice.

This is what they put on their site :

image.thumb.png.c0fca708fef7370e5aabdff6aaeca144.png

total BS....

Never mind. I've got some drug-dealer scales now that measures to the hundredth of a gram. I'll go for 2g for 20 litres, not sure how much sugar. Probably 6 to 8 g per litre.

I've just checked on the cold-crash. The damned thing is frozen solid ! I hadn't realised the fridge was so cold : -10°C. I'll defrost it, and hope it hasn't suffered too much.

When it comes to the end of the crash (another week or so, 20 days in all), I'll transfer the beer to a clean bucket with the hydrated yeast and sugar solution. I think I'll keg 10 litres and bottle the rest. Until I discovered the frozen beer I was going to collect the trub and re-do a batch immediately. Not sure how viable the yeast will be having been frozen. Anyone got any thoughts ?

I want to test the bottling using the F2 yeast but not risk the whole batch in case the secondary carbonation goes to sh*t. I reckon that even if I get the dosage wrong in a keg it won't matter.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, stquinto said:

No reply from the b*ggers yet - I've emailed them twice.

This is what they put on their site :

image.thumb.png.c0fca708fef7370e5aabdff6aaeca144.png

total BS....

Never mind. I've got some drug-dealer scales now that measures to the hundredth of a gram. I'll go for 2g for 20 litres, not sure how much sugar. Probably 6 to 8 g per litre.

I've just checked on the cold-crash. The damned thing is frozen solid ! I hadn't realised the fridge was so cold : -10°C. I'll defrost it, and hope it hasn't suffered too much.

When it comes to the end of the crash (another week or so, 20 days in all), I'll transfer the beer to a clean bucket with the hydrated yeast and sugar solution. I think I'll keg 10 litres and bottle the rest. Until I discovered the frozen beer I was going to collect the trub and re-do a batch immediately. Not sure how viable the yeast will be having been frozen. Anyone got any thoughts ?

I want to test the bottling using the F2 yeast but not risk the whole batch in case the secondary carbonation goes to sh*t. I reckon that even if I get the dosage wrong in a keg it won't matter.

Wow really accurate drug dealer scales that you have there @stquinto - hundreth's of a gram? I know that it is still cold your way but the fridge down to -10° is a pain for you, but the brew should be fine once it thaws a little.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Wow really accurate drug dealer scales that you have there @stquinto - hundreth's of a gram? I know that it is still cold your way but the fridge down to -10° is a pain for you, but the brew should be fine once it thaws a little.

Cheers mate, hope all is OK with it. This is the beer I would like to master, and my first attempt worked out fine, but I am keen to  make a beer that can be bottled. Do you reckon the yeast would be a goner though ? Wouldn't want to re-pitch anything dead...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

Cheers mate, hope all is OK with it. This is the beer I would like to master, and my first attempt worked out fine, but I am keen to  make a beer that can be bottled. Do you reckon the yeast would be a goner though ? Wouldn't want to re-pitch anything dead...

The beer will be fine but the yeast you would have killed some freezing it. Some will survive though but I would not risk a direct re pitch. If you make a starter out of it you will be fine. 

Bummer fermentis haven't come back. Portray to have good customer service and then no replies from 2 emails. Pretty piss poor. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Pale Man said:

I'm not sure what the drama is here? Ive got another Duvel in the pipeline. Homebrewing and thinking you can match the actual product, its like having an old beat up Holden, trying to race a formula one car.

Heres my recipe i reckon it will be fresh and nice.

Golden Ale.JPG

That looks like it'll make a fine brew mate ! Pity I can't source PoR here: I found a place in the UK, but wholesellers only, minimum pack weight of 5kg 🤨

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

@stquinto , you probably had these for a lot longer than just your recent brewing days. 😯

If there’s any stray white powder on them, it’s only dextrose, honest mate! 
What are those flashing blue lights outside the “crib”? Quick, flush everything!

Edited by stquinto
  • Haha 1

It’s defrosted now and the gravity is 1.012, and it still tastes sweet. I imagine the yeast is a goner. Probably leave it at about 20 degrees a few days to see if it changes. If it doesn’t drop maybe I should make a starter with half a pack of yeast and kickstart it. Probably best not bottling this one but keg it instead, that way if it carries on going I won’t risk making bombs 🤔

I suppose I could try 2g of the F2 yeast, or try cultivating yeast from a couple of Duvels before kegging 

3A235F63-31B9-4BBC-AFB8-3315DB42D2BF.jpeg

• Like 1

The FG didn’t change at around 1.012. I hydrated 2g of F2 yeast as per the instructions (20g of 25 degree water, left for 30 minutes) then kegged it with 10g sugar per litre. I’ll leave it in the boiler room at about 22 degrees for two weeks, and (try to) age it for another three. Depending on how carbonated it works out I’ll brew another and try bottling it. I can handle 17 litres of a Duvel clone on tap (although I got rare but appreciative noises from SWMBO with my last batch) 🤔

662D07B3-55F2-4A26-A8EA-F54A6C7A81F6.thumb.jpeg.1c4ea9cfe38b83b0f1adb5fde1f40469.jpeg9BD307D7-2E2A-4B45-8855-69147E4BC7CF.thumb.jpeg.4ef469607f5672a38e7cecc3215e6977.jpeg

4FA2DF00-07B5-4597-8B4B-0F203503704E.jpeg

18DDF073-86C4-406B-8C91-080B80681E56.jpeg

Edited by stquinto
Typo
  • Like 4