Coopers Community

Beer Out Post problem

Journeyman

This seems weird so looking for suggestions.

Connecting up 2 kegs for 30 psi carb using beer disconnect onto beer out post & other end into duotight on manifold.

1st keg not a problem, 2nd keg I could NOT get that sucker to click down on the post. Lubed? Check! Visual inspection, Check! Everything seems to work. 

I use the cheapo disconnects for such things, keeping the CMB's for beer line to tap connections and I KNOW this keg has been online before. Grab a spare CMB - nope! No go! 

Swapped back to the cheapie and the disconnect worked fine on the 2nd keg - I swapped them over to be sure.

Sat a block of wood on top and tapped with a hammer. CLICK!

Try to take it off? No problem! Put it back on? No WAY! Spray with stellar - no leaks!

Pretty sure the one thing I don't have is extra posts so will order some - got o-rings and kits but not the post - WTH can go wrong with a lump of metal with a hole through it?

The keg is one of the tall skinny ones, pretty sure those are Coke ones. Has an older lid with new bits - new lids don't seem to sit right on the 2 older kegs. But have never had a post refuse connection like this.

So, any ideas WTH is going on?

18 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

This seems weird so looking for suggestions.

Connecting up 2 kegs for 30 psi carb using beer disconnect onto beer out post & other end into duotight on manifold.

1st keg not a problem, 2nd keg I could NOT get that sucker to click down on the post. Lubed? Check! Visual inspection, Check! Everything seems to work. 

I use the cheapo disconnects for such things, keeping the CMB's for beer line to tap connections and I KNOW this keg has been online before. Grab a spare CMB - nope! No go! 

Swapped back to the cheapie and the disconnect worked fine on the 2nd keg - I swapped them over to be sure.

Sat a block of wood on top and tapped with a hammer. CLICK!

Try to take it off? No problem! Put it back on? No WAY! Spray with stellar - no leaks!

Pretty sure the one thing I don't have is extra posts so will order some - got o-rings and kits but not the post - WTH can go wrong with a lump of metal with a hole through it?

The keg is one of the tall skinny ones, pretty sure those are Coke ones. Has an older lid with new bits - new lids don't seem to sit right on the 2 older kegs. But have never had a post refuse connection like this.

So, any ideas WTH is going on?

Poppet valve stuck on the post?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

+1

Gummed up inside  Get a small Philips head screw driver or centre punch and see if you can push it down then try the disconnect again.  It might even take a light tap with a block of wood on the screw driver etc.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, kmar92 said:

That's a pissibolity - didn't check that but 30 psi seems to have moved it because the gas went in. 

And the keg had sat a while (after being cleaned) so maybe I didn't get the post properly clean? Will strip that keg when it runs out. 

Thanks - that hadn't occurred to me but it would fit the symptoms - disc almost drops far enough but then stops before connection.

@Journeyman, I have some posts that are a bit stiff and I have to push the disconnect ring down for it to click.  I was able to overcome a couple of them by using a slightly different poppet spring, with fewer coils.  I got some of these in a spares kit I got from the guy I bought some secondhand kegs from.  Unfortunately, I have used up all of those springs with the fewer coils.  The universal ones from Kegland and Keg King seem to be the ones with an extra coil. 

Also a couple of my dip tubes had slightly thicker O-rings.  This meant that the spring compressed fully just before the disconnect ring could click into place.  Replacing the O-ring on the dip tube helped out those ones. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

@Journeyman, I have some posts that are a bit stiff and I have to push the disconnect ring down for it to click.  I was able to overcome a couple of them by using a slightly different poppet spring, with fewer coils.  I got some of these in a spares kit I got from the guy I bought some secondhand kegs from.  Unfortunately, I have used up all of those springs with the fewer coils.  The universal ones from Kegland and Keg King seem to be the ones with an extra coil. 

Also a couple of my dip tubes had slightly thicker O-rings.  This meant that the spring compressed fully just before the disconnect ring could click into place.  Replacing the O-ring on the dip tube helped out those ones. 

Thanks, good info to know.

I don't think it's a spring issue or o-rings this time as all my kegs worked great in the past - 5 were reconned by the seller.

The 2 tall ones are the only ones with original lids and posts & they were 2nd hand from KL - I got new lids but didn't think of posts (see above about what can go wrong with a lump of metal with a hole in it 😄 ) and I did NOT strip them down for a service.

Now it's 16 months later so I guess I better do some servicing. 😄  

• Like 1

I had a similar issue - was due to the O-Rings on the post being a slightly different size. Couldn't get the damn disconnects to lock down, so bit the bullet and replaced them and bobs your uncle - perfect.

One of a few issues when I got second hand kegs

Edited by Yuley
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Yuley said:

I had a similar issue - was due to the O-Rings on the post being a slightly different size. Couldn't get the damn disconnects to lock down, so bit the bullet and replaced them and bobs your uncle - perfect.

Replaced the posts or just the o-rings?

The rings ARE different on the 2 tall kegs - red ones instead of black. I don't think it's the rings per se as the keg was in use a month or so back and had no issues. But I might replace them anyway or even get new posts. The ones on the 2 kegs can go in the box as emergency replacements. 😄 (cos I can't think of any other use for them 😄 )

14 hours ago, Yuley said:

You win the Best Advice Award for today! Went to remove the gas-to-beer-out line and had trouble getting it off. Came off with some shredded bits of red rubber.

And the gas post didn't want to accept a disc either, so later will replace both o-rings and see how it goes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Journeyman said:

You win the Best Advice Award for today! Went to remove the gas-to-beer-out line and had trouble getting it off. Came off with some shredded bits of red rubber.

And the gas post didn't want to accept a disc either, so later will replace both o-rings and see how it goes.

Woohoo! 🏆 For the win, I get another weekend in lockdown lol. I will use it drinking and working on my Award acceptance speech. 🙃

Just replaced the O-rings. For ages I couldn't work out why I couldn't get them to connect on one keg. No idea where the previous owner got his O-rings from, but they certainly weren't from a LHBS or similar.

• Like 2