Coopers Community

Boiling hops

Mates,

I want to try my hand at boiling some hops. I have a Aus pale ale tin that is my base, with 1kg DME. I've been reading and educating myself about it all and have come to this: ( all hops are local to South Africa )

25g Southern passion for 30 min boil for adding bitterness mainly

Then I have 2 other varieties I will use for dry hopping, total of about 60 - 80g

To 21L

I do want a nice bitter bite, but nothing too big.  Any thoughts? 

Edited by PintsAtMeLocal
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have started to freeze my hop pellets since learning that's a good idea from one of the threads here. What I've found however is that the hops when added to the wort as before don't seem to have the same effect. The dry hop addition in particular doesn't have the same level of intensity as before when I stored them in the fridge. But what is really evident is that the head retention has vanished. This is across several recipes which I've done many times before with very good results with head retention. I'm meticulous with cleaning the beer equipment and always make sure my glasses are clean. The only other thing which I've changed is the yeast addition, I used to dry pitch packet yeast but have more recently been using a slurry from previous brews. I'm wondering if any of this may contribute to what's happening with my recent brews. All the brewing products I've used have been well within the Use by dates.

Edited by Mickep

29 minutes ago, Mickep said:

I have started to freeze my hop pellets since learning that's a good idea from one of the threads here. What I've found however is that the hops when added to the wort as before don't seem to have the same effect. The dry hop addition in particular doesn't have the same level of intensity as before when I stored them in the fridge. But what is really evident is that the head retention has vanished. This is across several recipes which I've done many times before with very good results with head retention. I'm meticulous with cleaning the beer equipment and always make sure my glasses are clean. The only other thing which I've changed is the yeast addition, I used to dry pitch packet yeast but have more recently been using a slurry from previous brews. I'm wondering if any of this may contribute to what's happening with my recent brews. All the brewing products I've used have been well within the Use by dates.

I cannot say that I have any issues with head retention using frozen hops and I keep all my hops in the freezer. How are you keeping them? I vacuum pack my hops to keep as much oxygen away from them as possible. I even double seal the bags as I have had the odd one fill with air after a few weeks. It seems to work fine for me. Some hops I buy in 500g packs and this is the only way to keep them "fresh".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aussiekraut said:

I cannot say that I have any issues with head retention using frozen hops and I keep all my hops in the freezer. How are you keeping them? I vacuum pack my hops to keep as much oxygen away from them as possible. I even double seal the bags as I have had the odd one fill with air after a few weeks. It seems to work fine for me. Some hops I buy in 500g packs and this is the only way to keep them "fresh".

Thanks Aussie for the reply, once I've opened them in their foil packaging I store them in same and wrap with rubber bands and then put them into zip lock bags and then into the freezer. The bags are airtight. I'm assuming that's keeping them away from the oxygen.  

Never had an issue with frozen hops and I very much doubt it's the cause of your head retention problems. Reusing a slurry many times does increase the chance of  infection. You would probably taste it though whether it be off taste or it's something in there that has dropped the pH significantly. I'd start with a new packet though and see if that does the trick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Never had an issue with frozen hops and I very much doubt it's the cause of your head retention problems. Reusing a slurry many times does increase the chance of  infection. You would probably taste it though whether it be off taste or it's something in there that has dropped the pH significantly. I'd start with a new packet though and see if that does the trick.

Nah, no infection. Absolutely positive of that. Maybe it's time to rest the slurry and re introduce a new dry packet of yeast. 

On 12/28/2021 at 2:44 PM, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Thanks @Greenyinthewestofsydney. I'll turf the slurry as you've suggested and start with some fresh stuff. cheers mate.