Coopers Community

Flat beer.

jackgym

12 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

In all my years of brewing/bottling I have never had to add any heat source to the storage scenario, I find the cartons that you get with 1 dozen bottles of wine from wine clubs/membership etc are perfect for storing bottles, one would assume the temperature would remain constantly the same as the ambient temp in the room.

In fact I would stick my neck out & suggest flat beer comes from poor brewing techniques & not enough malt or attention to the recipe or perhaps under carbonation.

All you have to do is visit your local bottle O' & ask if you can have some, see photo below, you can of course cover/insulate the boxes with blankets if you want.

I currently have 10 x cartons of assorted beers stored in this way & I can assure you - none of them are flat.

Otherwise get into kegging. 🤣

20220526_112744.jpg

Great advice there Phil.

My place is not brick and i'm subject to fluctuations in heat/cold.

We do the best we can with the temps delivered by the area we live in.

For me heating a small area, that I store beer in is a small price to pay.

Heat is only needed for around thee months, the rest of the year it's fine.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Great advice there Phil.

My place is not brick and i'm subject to fluctuations in heat/cold.

We do the best we can with the temps delivered by the area we live in.

For me heating a small area, that I store beer in is a small price to pay.

Heat is only needed for around thee months, the rest of the year it's fine.

Fair enough sounds like you have it under control.

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

In all my years of brewing/bottling I have never had to add any heat source to the storage scenario, I find the cartons that you get with 1 dozen bottles of wine from wine clubs/membership etc are perfect for storing bottles, one would assume the temperature would remain constantly the same as the ambient temp in the room.

In fact I would stick my neck out & suggest flat beer comes from poor brewing techniques & not enough malt or attention to the recipe or perhaps under carbonation.

All you have to do is visit your local bottle O' & ask if you can have some, see photo below, you can of course cover/insulate the boxes with blankets if you want.

I currently have 10 x cartons of assorted beers stored in this way & I can assure you - none of them are flat.

Otherwise get into kegging. 🤣

20220526_112744.jpg

That might be ok north of the Murry but if your down south and brewing in the winter I think you might be in trouble.  Especially if your brewing and storing in a colour bond garage like I am. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, oldbloke said:

That might be ok north of the Murry but if your down south and brewing in the winter I think you might be in trouble.  Especially if your brewing and storing in a colour bond garage like I am. 

I'm on the Central Coast.

Just last week I bottled a batch and put the bottles back in the brewing fridge @ 20C.

The cider I bottled the week before though I just left in the cupboard, as I don't plan on drinking that for a few months.

Today's temperature 13.3C, feels like 10.4.
And looking at the temperatures forecast for the next week. 3-17 C.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother having two fermenting fridges. But this time of year it does come in handy.
Also in the middle of summer too.

• Like 2