Coopers Community

23L can in 8.5L fermenter

Elliot.F

Hi,

I'm new to the Cooper's DIY brew kits, and accidentally purchased a 1.7kg Irish Stout can designed to make 23L, and I only have an 8.5L fermenter. 

Could I still use it but in a lesser quantity like 630g (i.e., 1.7/(23/8.5))? If I can, how long can I store the remaining extract for?

Thanks in advance

30 minutes ago, Elliot.F said:

Hi,

I'm new to the Cooper's DIY brew kits, and accidentally purchased a 1.7kg Irish Stout can designed to make 23L, and I only have an 8.5L fermenter. 

Could I still use it but in a lesser quantity like 630g (i.e., 1.7/(23/8.5))? If I can, how long can I store the remaining extract for?

Thanks in advance

HI @Elliot.F I recently bought a 1.7 can of Classic Bitter & used it in the craft fermenter & filled to 11 litres without any Brew Enhancers just the supplied yeast.

It worked out fine. It is not recommended to store left over extract although I am sure some have done so.

Cheers

Phil

• Thanks 1

Yep you can mate. All recipes are scaleable. You will still have to add the other fermentable in the same proportion. Put the rest of the can in the fridge with some glad wrap and an elastic band around it and it should last a couple of weeks. I would do the batches back to back though. I wouldn't leave it longer than that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2021 at 8:44 AM, Elliot.F said:

Hi,

Thanks in advance

Don't forget the 1.7kg can for the 23l batches requires extra fermentables like dextrose, brew enhancer or extra malt. The cans for the 8.5l fermenter do not require anything extra. So we're talking about 1.7kg v 1.3kg. Using all of it will make the beer a tad stronger and more bitter. So if you want to split the 1.7l can, only leave about 400g out. But I personally would put it all in. It's a stout, so a little extra bitterness or ABV won't hurt it.

• Like 1