Coopers Community

How's this for a Grolsch bottle?

John E Miller

5 minutes ago, John E Miller said:

Looks more than 2 litres! Tempting, but I don't know if I need it at $20

Couple of days back there was a 5L one for sale on a BSS FB site. 😄 I also was tempted. 😄 Not sure if it was Grolsch but it's gone now - there are still a couple of 1.5L and a 2L Lobethal swing top though. 😄

May be an image of bottle

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1

Recently I bought a pack of O-rings from LHBS to replace the old seals in my older 450 Grolsch bottles ( these are the older type with the ceramic stopper ) the fit is that tight you can hardly close them, problem is if you do, you cannot open them - just too damn tight. I tried everything even running the clip under hot water hoping they would expand but I still cannot open them.

A bit of a nuisance as I needed to bottle a brew today. 😠

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Recently I bought a pack of O-rings from LHBS to replace the old seals in my older 450 Grolsch bottles ( these are the older type with the ceramic stopper ) the fit is that tight you can hardly close them, problem is if you do, you cannot open them - just too damn tight. I tried everything even running the clip under hot water hoping they would expand but I still cannot open them.

A bit of a nuisance as I needed to bottle a brew today. 😠

Have you tried placing a screw driver under the wire hoop and use it as a lever. The second time should be easier as the seal takes shape.

There are two types of seals I have come across, one that looks like pinkish rubber and one that is red silicon.

I removed all the pinkish ones and replaced them with the red silicon ones. The first time I used they were "tight" as expected but became easier the next time then stayed at that level.

As a matter of interest what was the price you paid for the new seals.

3 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

Have you tried placing a screw driver under the wire hoop and use it as a lever. The second time should be easier as the seal takes shape.

There are two types of seals I have come across, one that looks like pinkish rubber and one that is red silicon.

I removed all the pinkish ones and replaced them with the red silicon ones. The first time I used they were "tight" as expected but became easier the next time then stayed at that level.

As a matter of interest what was the price you paid for the new seals.

Hi @Pickles Jones  Yes I agree, the new style Grolsch bottles have the pinkish ones & the ones I got were quite a lot thicker. The price is $17.95 for 100 but one of my LBHS sells them for .50 cents each which isn't bad. I will need to get the smaller ones as I really tried everything to open a bottle fitted with the thicker ones. Apparently the generic style Swing top bottles ( non Grolsch ) are OK with the thicker ones.

41hAT0RKKpL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

s-l300.png

I used to have a big 2 litre one exactly same as photo years ago. I not have the 750 and 500ml mangrove jacks amber grolsh. The 500 are my favourite the 750 only fit in the fridge door without lying them down which I won't do.

6 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

I used to have a big 2 litre one exactly same as photo years ago. I not have the 750 and 500ml mangrove jacks amber grolsh. The 500 are my favourite the 750 only fit in the fridge door without lying them down which I won't do.

I have quite a collection of them as a mate of mine buys them duty free & gives me the bottles, I actually don't mind drinking Grolsch anyway. But I never lay them down either. They are a good strong bottle.

2 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Hi @Pickles Jones  Yes I agree, the new style Grolsch bottles have the pinkish ones & the ones I got were quite a lot thicker. The price is $17.95 for 100 but one of my LBHS sells them for .50 cents each which isn't bad. I will need to get the smaller ones as I really tried everything to open a bottle fitted with the thicker ones. Apparently the generic style Swing top bottles ( non Grolsch ) are OK with the thicker ones.

41hAT0RKKpL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

s-l300.png

If your interested I bought some Red Silicon Seals as pictured top above, from AliExpress China.

I bought 4 pkts of 25 for AUD $4.78 per pkt plus shipping of 8cents yep 8cents. I think there is GST on top of that.

The delivery is slow but it gets here.

I wanted to get quiet a few on hand so I can always change them out if they are borderline

11 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

If your interested I bought some Red Silicon Seals as pictured top above, from AliExpress China.

I bought 4 pkts of 25 for AUD $4.78 per pkt plus shipping of 8cents yep 8cents. I think there is GST on top of that.

The delivery is slow but it gets here.

I wanted to get quiet a few on hand so I can always change them out if they are borderline

Well that sounds pretty good. I know there are opportunities on the internet but so far I can source them local but not at that price !!

• Like 1