Coopers Community

Brekky Oat Cream IPA - February 2021 Recipe of the Month

i tell  ya what lockdown does to  me it sends me on small spending sprees

well   i am giving up All grain brewing for 1 brew day only

as i have just brought this   brew  to make   and i hope it will be good as they spruik..

i know i know  its not going to be like a A.G  brew  but hey  i'm looking forward to doing an extract brew for a change

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2021 at 8:57 PM, Hefe Man said:

Surprisingly not sold out yet. If i was ever going to do one of these recipes of the month it would be this one.  

I was the same. Normally stick to my AG batches or a FWK off in a bind but this one caught my eye. Probably make it this weekend once I get the kolsch out of the fermentation fridge.

• 4 months later...
On 2/21/2021 at 9:57 PM, Pale Man said:

Surprisingly not sold out yet. If i was ever going to do one of these recipes of the month it would be this one.  

i did it..

my mistake in this was to crush the grain with a rolling pin instead of a grain mill..

but for my 1st extract beer for well over 10 years  it was a great beer

As i  am mostly all grain since returning..

i may buy the ingrediants again seperately one day soon and revist this one as it was great

• Like 3

Awesome, thank for the info @ozdevilI'm really looking forward to this one. I did the same with this one using a rolling pin. That sucked haha. Quick one.....dis you cold crash this? I've cold crashed all my brews so far but not sure if this one should be left or cold crashed. Thoughts? 

And man I really want to step up my gear and start brewing all grain, but I have to prove to the missus that the investment is going to be worth it so gotta get some more runs on the board with kit/extracts first 😉

Edited by N00bBrew
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, N00bBrew said:

Awesome, thank for the info @ozdevilI'm really looking forward to this one. I did the same with this one using a rolling pin. That sucked haha. Quick one.....dis you cold crash this? I've cold crashed all my brews so far but not sure if this one should be left or cold crashed. Thoughts? 

And man I really want to step up my gear and start brewing all grain, but I have to prove to the missus that the investment is going to be worth it so gotta get some more runs on the board with kit/extracts first 😉

Matei did cold crash it,   but becuase you are using oats cold crashing wont be a big issue in my opinion will only be benifit to drop the hops and yeast out of suspension
as to me there should be a haze in this beer.

mate dont stress about going all grain until your ready  but if you get hold of a coulple 19 litre pots from big w  are pretty handy and the wife can use them as well for making soups etc
but the advantage here is you can do small batch all grain brewing if you wanted to  doing BIAB  method  always away to dip ya toes into all grain  before making a huge investments

15 hours ago, ozdevil said:

Matei did cold crash it,   but becuase you are using oats cold crashing wont be a big issue in my opinion will only be benifit to drop the hops and yeast out of suspension
as to me there should be a haze in this beer.

mate dont stress about going all grain until your ready  but if you get hold of a coulple 19 litre pots from big w  are pretty handy and the wife can use them as well for making soups etc
but the advantage here is you can do small batch all grain brewing if you wanted to  doing BIAB  method  always away to dip ya toes into all grain  before making a huge investments

Yup, that was going to be my concern, I want it cloudy and didn't want the cold crash to clear it too much. But if it keeps the haze I'll cold crash 😉

Yup, been thinking about doing some small batch all grains in the massive stock pots for a BIAB crack. Got the stockpots, just need to work out a recipe and I'll give it a shot before winters over. Any recommendations for a Hoppy pale? 

14 hours ago, N00bBrew said:

Yup, that was going to be my concern, I want it cloudy and didn't want the cold crash to clear it too much. But if it keeps the haze I'll cold crash 😉

Yup, been thinking about doing some small batch all grains in the massive stock pots for a BIAB crack. Got the stockpots, just need to work out a recipe and I'll give it a shot before winters over. Any recommendations for a Hoppy pale? 

what size batch you looking at in your stock pots   

maybe a balter xpa

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Looks nice.  Copied to my Brewfather account.  I will adjust to a full sized batch.  Thanks

i have it as a full sized batch myself i just scaled down   so noobBrew  could do it in his stock pot

• Like 2

On 7/10/2021 at 7:58 AM, ozdevil said:

i have it as a full sized batch myself i just scaled down   so noobBrew  could do it in his stock pot

Legend, thanks for this!! It's on the list for my next brew. Appreciate the help and I'll be sure to post how it goes to. 

• Like 1

Just now, N00bBrew said:

Legend, thanks for this!! It's on the list for my next brew. Appreciate the help and I'll be sure to post how it goes to. 

mate great stuff   , my advice  is dont rush the process if its going to be your 1st a.g even though its a small batch

make sure your grains are crushed fine for BIAB  and make sure you do not get doughballs  and if you do  make certain 
you break them up  

and i am looking forward to how you go mate and how it turns out

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2021 at 3:17 PM, ozdevil said:

mate great stuff   , my advice  is dont rush the process if its going to be your 1st a.g even though its a small batch

make sure your grains are crushed fine for BIAB  and make sure you do not get doughballs  and if you do  make certain 
you break them up  

and i am looking forward to how you go mate and how it turns out

Righto, grain has been ordered from the local home brew shop. This weekend I'm gonna give this a go. Thanks again in advance @ozdevilfor the recipe, will keep you updated

• Like 1