Coopers Community

My First Brew Diary - Advice and Comments Appreciated

DeviantLogic

So today I got my very first brew underway, and I thought documenting it's progress here would be a good way to keep track of what I did and also to get some useful input. 

The recipe:
- 1.7kg tin of Coopers English Bitter
- 1kg Light Dired Malt Extract
- 300g Dextrose

I mixed the ingredients thoroughly in 23L of water and pitched the yeast that came with the Coopers tin. The wort was around 24-25 degrees when I pitched the yeast, which was a little warmer than I would have liked but I had somewhere to be and couldn't really wait for it to cool down. I plugged the recipe into the IanH spreadsheet and was expecting an OG of 1.044. I took the OG reading several times and the result ranged from 1.042 to 1.044. 

The setup:
I am using a Coopers FV without the Krausen Collar. I have this in a little bar fridge/used brew fridge that I picked up on FB Marketplace for $30. I have a 30w heat belt wrapped around the FV. Both the heat belt and the fridge are plugged into a MKII Temperature Controller. On the advice of the guy who sold me the temperature controller, I tightly taped a sponge to the side of the FV and have inserted the temp controller probe between the sponge and the FV. I have set the temperature to 19 degrees with the default a hystereris setting of 1 degree. I have also kept the default 5 minute delay between heating and cooling turning off/on. 

The plan:
Right now my intention is to bottle in two weeks and then condition the bottles between 18 and 20 degrees in a waterbath with a cheap aquarium heater. I am undecided between batch priming, just using carbonation drops, or using the 'Muzzy method'.

Questions:
- Do my temperature controller settings seems reasonable?
- Is tape and a sponge a decent way to insulate the temperature probe against the FV? (See below for a picture.)
- Is two weeks in the primary enough time to expect a good result out of this kit?
- The FV is quite heavy and the shelf it is sitting on has depressed a little under the weight (see picture below). Under this shelf there is an empty compartment, and I was thinking I should put something sturdy in there to help support the weight of the FV. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good sterile option for putting in there to support the FV?
- Is there anything which I have overlooked or neglected to mention which I ought to be doing to ensure the best quality of my brew?

20210123_183125.jpg

20210123_183152.jpg

20210123_183201.jpg

• Like 1

Update: I checked on my brew and noticed that the thermometer strip said the temperature was 16-18 degrees, even though my temp controller said it was about 19.5 degrees. I bumped the heat setting up to 20 degrees, as the temperature probe is relatively high on the FV and the lower part of the FV was quite cool to touch. Was this advisable or should I just trust in the temp controller? Coukd the height I have my probe, or the fact I am using tape and foam as insulation, cause the temp controller to give inaccurate temperature readings?

Perhaps you could move the temp probe a bit lower (could end up being closer to the strip level) ?   I guess there could be a slight difference (heat rising and all that).

I use a half cut up neoprene stubby cooler on mine, not sure if similar thermal properties to a sponge.

As for the deflecting shelf, I just use a piece of ply on top of the wire shelf to distribute the load to the edges a little better, though I have also seen folks just put a stubby or chock of wood underneath...  Necessity the mother of invention- especially when it comes to making a magic brew 😉  Doesn’t need to be pretty, just functional- whatever it takes!  

Best of luck,

Cheers!

Edited by G00DSY
  • Like 1

I placed the temp probe relatively high because I wanted to keep it away from the heat belt, and I thought the heat belt would work more effectively if I placed it lower on the FV. However, I didn't want to place the heat belt too low as I was worried about it being too close to where the trub will form - perhaps this isn't something I should be concerned about? I could wrap the heat belt below the tap and lower the temp probe a bit, do you think that would work better than the way I currently have things set up?

1 hour ago, DeviantLogic said:

1 Do my temperature controller settings seems reasonable?
2 Is tape and a sponge a decent way to insulate the temperature probe against the FV? (See below for a picture.)
3 Is two weeks in the primary enough time to expect a good result out of this kit?
4 The FV is quite heavy and the shelf it is sitting on has depressed a little under the weight (see picture below). Under this shelf there is an empty compartment, and I was thinking I should put something sturdy in there to help support the weight of the FV. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good sterile option for putting in there to support the FV?
5 Is there anything which I have overlooked or neglected to mention which I ought to be doing to ensure the best quality of my brew?

1.  Yep.  Although I set the temperature difference to 0.3°C, which is the lowest that the Inkbird goes to.

2.  I think you need more tape. 😁 I use half a cut up stubby holder, like Goodsy.  I just tape it with two long strips of plain sticky tape.

3.  Two weeks in the primary will be fine.  It will probably be done within a week.  Time is a guide, but your Specific Gravity readings are the true indication of where things are at.

4.  See Goodsy's comments.  I just use a couple of bits of wood.

5.  Do not open the lid.  Otherwise, your process is fine.

I am not sure with the Mark II temperature controller, but the Inkbird can be a bit out of calibration.  You can adjust this to be correct.  Firstly, you need to get at least one more thermometer reading.  At the moment you only have two.  Which is correct (or the most correct).  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DeviantLogic said:

I placed the temp probe relatively high because I wanted to keep it away from the heat belt, and I thought the heat belt would work more effectively if I placed it lower on the FV. However, I didn't want to place the heat belt too low as I was worried about it being too close to where the trub will form - perhaps this isn't something I should be concerned about? I could wrap the heat belt below the tap and lower the temp probe a bit, do you think that would work better than the way I currently have things set up?

I do not think it will make much difference.  However, give it a go and see what happens.

5 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

1.  Yep.  Although I set the temperature difference to 0.3°C, which is the lowest that the Inkbird goes to.

2.  I think you need more tape. 😁 I use half a cut up stubby holder, like Goodsy.  I just tape it with two long strips of plain sticky tape.

3.  Two weeks in the primary will be fine.  It will probably be done within a week.  Time is a guide, but your Specific Gravity readings are the true indication of where things are at.

4.  See Goodsy's comments.  I just use a couple of bits of wood.

5.  Do not open the lid.  Otherwise, your process is fine.

I am not sure with the Mark II temperature controller, but the Inkbird can be a bit out of calibration.  You can adjust this to be correct.  Firstly, you need to get at least one more thermometer reading.  At the moment you only have two.  Which is correct (or the most correct).  

i am with you with the tape hahahahahahhahahah PMSL but all good

• Haha 2

As @Goodsy and others have said, a piece of timber as a vertical strut but do not go overboard and build a mini picnic table in there with legs as props as that room underneath is precious.  During the cold months I have enough room to condition 740 ml PET bottles when brewing at 18 C and during the warm months when I am cold crashing a brew at 2 C, slip a dozen or so stubbies in that space so they are ready to drink.  Waste not want not. You are running a fridge anyway so utilize its temps through your brewing cycles.

A simple shallow aluminium tray of suitable size from your kitchen or Big-W and the like to distribute the load and simple strut in the centre to take the load down to the fridge base.  See pic.

Agreed also that a sacrificed stubby holder is better than a sponge.  Sponges are made from open cell foam and their R rating would be very poor.  Stubby holder foam is made from closed cell foam and the R rating is superb so ideal.  A couple of 200 mm strips of gaffa tape is enough and you can leave this stuck on FV for several if not dozens of brews if you are careful re spillage and cleaning etc.

You can adjust the MK II controller to down to 0.1 C but 0.5 C would be fine.  I have 3 of these temp controllers and I know one shows 1 – 1.5 C higher than the brew is.  I don’t think they have a calibration mode, have not looked.

Also do not keep taking OG samples, you are wasting precious beer.  If you have not mixed the ingredients thoroughly enough you will get a lower reading.  I have found the Ian H spreadsheet surprisingly good so it is what it is, wishing for something else will not make it so.  Your second sample should be left in the sample tube with the hydrometer inside the FV fridge until the brew is done.  That way you just have to open the fridge door and look at the number to get progressive SG numbers each day until it is finished.  Think of this test tube as a “mini FV”.

Cheers - AL

FV support resized.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks for the helpful responses everyone! I have replaced the sponge with half a cut up stubby holder, as suggested. I exercised a bit of restraint with the tape this time, but still probably used more than strictly necessary. 

IBOOZ2, sticking my second gravity sample in the fridge is a great idea! I will need to sort out the shelf before that is viable, but I refrained from taking a sample today and will not do so until I reinforce the shelf. Conditioning in the space below the FV is also a great idea, so thanks a lot for the tips. 🙂

Today I noted that the thermometer strip reading was pretty close to the temp controller reading. This was during a period where the fridge had not been on for some time. I think the low reading on the strip yesterday was a result of it being more sensitive to the fridge being on than the probe, so for now I am trusting the probe reading and leaving the belt and probe positioning roughly as it was before. I dialled the temperature setting back down to 19C and tightened the hysteresis setting to 0.5C.

There is a decent krausen on the brew today, and I can hear it bubbling away. It's also emitting faint smell which is rather pleasant. Pictures below.

20210124_182213.jpg

20210124_182117.jpg

20210124_182228.jpg

• Like 3

is it warm where you live? most cases in summer you would only need to run the cooling function of the fridge and forget about heating but depends on your climate. in the first 3 days of fermentation the brew is creating its own heat and can usually maintain a constant temp with the ambient being up until 6 degrees less.

I live in south east Melbourne, so it can get pretty warm. Today and tomorrow have a top of 37C. I'm brewing in a garage and it can get quite cold at night. I think the lowest it will get this week is 12C, which I understand to be suboptimal for brewing. I have the temp controller and the heat belt anyway, figured I might as well set the whole thing up, even if the fridge is likely to get a fair bit more exercise than the belt for the next month or so.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DeviantLogic said:

I live in south east Melbourne, so it can get pretty warm. Today and tomorrow have a top of 37C. I'm brewing in a garage and it can get quite cold at night. I think the lowest it will get this week is 12C, which I understand to be suboptimal for brewing. I have the temp controller and the heat belt anyway, figured I might as well set the whole thing up, even if the fridge is likely to get a fair bit more exercise than the belt for the next month or so.

Me too Devo.  I am in Belgrave South.  @iBooz2 is local too.  Quite varied weather we are having.  Leave the heat belt there.  If it needs to come on it will.  If not, then no loss.

I am cold crashing the 2020 Coopers Vintage Ale at the moment, so I unplug the heat belt.  The brew only needs to stay cold.  Tomorrow I bottle that batch and set off another.  The heat belt will be back in action, especially if the ambient temperature gets as cold as you noted.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

@Shamus O'Sean so that vintage was in fv a while did u need to add more yeast in end?

Hi Jamie, I did not end up adding more yeast.  I did increase the temperature from 18°C to 20°C and then to 22°C.  It kept dropping a gravity point or two every day.  I don't think it affected the flavour.  The samples tasted fine.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I was going to chuck in the Chubby Cherub recipe after, but

• took too long bottling
  • the next brew has a 30 minute hop boil
  • and it was a stinker of a hot day today

I will do it tomorrow

we also get a cooler week starting tomorrow has been quite a mild summer anyway so far.

• Like 1

@Shamus O'Sean so how do u think taping that stubbie holder to side works out for you? I seen some people put probe in small cup of water i usually just wedge mine in between door and fv. As suggested by Otto these other ways are more economical on the fridge have you tried the water cup too or always on side?