Coopers Community

Carbonation just not right (bottling).

selz13

3 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Just wondering Boozer, could you crack open the bottle, drop a dose of sugar in and recap the bottle, then leave 2 weeks somewhere warm? Would they carb up again? If the yeast is still viable I guess they would. 🤔Might be an option rather than drinking flat beer...

I did that once and it worked.  Not as good as the properly carbonated ones but better than drinking flat beer. 

You have got to get the cap back on quickly. Although the beer is flat, there is still dissolved CO2 in it that foams up due to the introduced nucleation points on the sugar grains/carb drops.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Just wondering Boozer, could you crack open the bottle, drop a dose of sugar in and recap the bottle, then leave 2 weeks somewhere warm? Would they carb up again? If the yeast is still viable I guess they would. 🤔Might be an option rather than drinking flat beer...

Yep TB have often thought about doing this re-carb technique but never have.  Always had another batch that I can blend the two together to get a half decent amount of fizz but my lager chest is down to the bottom layer of bottles so have to be thrifty when on a session as it will be a couple of weeks before I have full kegs again.

One way which has helped is to pour a half glass from a fair height so as to fizz it up a bit then skol, wait a while then repeat ha ha.😉

Found I had two bottles of this (bottled on 10/08/20) batch left so perfect for an experiment with the re-carb trick.  One bottle I have done with an extra 1 x Coopers carb drop and the other with 1 x CSR white sugar cube.  As they were very cold I did not need to be quick with un-capping, insertion, recapping as they were actually that flat.  So now I wait and see how this goes.   Made sure the caps were back on very tight.

Got the bottles re-warming up on top of my kitchen fridge where it is nice and warm.  Be interesting to see if there is enough viable yeasties left in them after being at 2 C for 9 + months.

Will post here my results in a few weeks.

Cheers - AL

Re-Carb test of CP brewed Aug2020 - resized.jpg

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1