Coopers Community

Plastic Hydrometer

Biermoasta

Hey Guys, Today I had a play around with my plastic hydrometer provided in the new Coopers DIY Kit. When placed in water at 17.5C I got a SG reading of 0.995?? From what I have gathered, to get this reading (0.995) for water, the temperature would have to be about 38C. Is the hydrometer collaborated for reading at 20C? Is there something wrong with my hydrometer? Or am I just doing it all wrong (quite probable as I've never used a hydrometer before)...

Welcome to the Brewers Guild!!

The hydrometers, supplied with the DIY Beer Kit, are calibrated using distilled water at 20degC - they should read 0.998 +/- 0.001. [rightful]

Once you have a hydrometer, the first thing to do is calibrate it to your own water supply. This is done by measuring the SG, whilst taking note of the temp', then allowing for this error when you make any other readings. However, if it is too far out of whack, we will replace it [biggrin]

Can you humour me on this and leave the hydro in the water sample for about 24hrs, then let me know what it reads?? Any change while temp is steady may indicate it is not sealed properly. [pinched]

So they became a reality PB2?

[w00t] yes [w00t] yes [w00t]

Not a good start with Biermoasta reporting his being so far out of calibration [pinched] [pinched] but I'm confident that we can sort it out. [biggrin]

The reading has remained steady (ignoring small changes, due to slight variations in temperature) for about 20 hours. So I assume it is sealed properly. [rightful]

Should I just always add on about 0.004 to the readings I take, to essentially provide a calibrated reading?

BTW, a plastic hydrometer is a great idea, fragile glass and me don't mix so well! [tongue]

Yep, you can allow for the error with all readings.

If it becomes too much of a bother, contact customerservice@coopers.com.au [biggrin]

Just out of interest, how long is the red tip on the top of the hydro?

• 1 month later...

testing out my new Hydrometer

i think i noticed that it was giving me a different reading than what I was getting with the older glass one

now the the temp may have affected it as it was about 26 deg last night in our house .

I was using the same sample and when I took the sample that, I was checking the 2nd one as I discard the first sample that I take

web.jpg

web.jpg

I am not too worried as to me when I make beer close enough is good enough to me and I just make sure that the final readings are the same over a couple of days

Ok,Ok now i've seen a PLASTIC HYDROMETER, there are a little blury. Bloody show offs. Muddy whats this "Paul send me one and I'll test it"? Dont jump the gun I had my order in first. Even got in touch with the Coopers mob at the airport, hopeing they were not aware of this forum and my request for a PLASTIC HYDROMETER, but allas no deal.

Paul just let the cat out of the bag, one i have not tried and if they live up to their name i might have some success- customerservice@coopers.com.au

Am I not a customer? Do I not drink Coopers beer, are they not suitable qualifications for service?

Warren, you have already spoken to Customer Service (Frank) about this topic. Yes, it's a small department comprising of Frank. I fill in when Frank is absent.

As mentioned before, we barely have enough supply of plastic hydrometers to keep up with DIY Beer Kit production. So it will be some time before plastic hydrometers are avaiable for sale separately.

Am I not a customer? Do I not drink Coopers beer' date=' are they not suitable qualifications for service?[/quote']

Sock it to 'em Warren. Your fire and determination has given me the power to renew my fight to have airlocks and lids to be sold separately [biggrin]

• 8 months later...
Tony has one of those new Coopers FV's' date=' yet he broke his hydrometer. I thought these new PLASTIC HYDROMETERS were bullet proof.[pinched'] [crying] [crying]

I broke my good glass one and have replaced it, the Coopers plastic one is a few point out so i dont use it.

Whem ny dog decided to chew up my plastic hydrometer i decided to goto the lhbs and get myself the new improved glass ones which comes with a triangle base around about $12. Warren if you like a glass one down here in Canberra where the place to be [lol]

• 3 months later...

Older thread coming back to life, seems better than starting again?

I have 2 of the recent DIY kits so far, so I have 2 plastic hydrometers. I've been a bit wary of the readings as I'm getting a fair bit of variance. I eventually settled on the hydrometer I thought closest to expected readings, despite it's slight banana stance. I'm aware temp etc. can affect things.

I just put down a Coopers dark ale with 1kg BE1. House, tap water, and FV pitching temp are all within half a degree of 23C. Trusty the hydrometer gave me 1022, backup gave me 1033. Same sample same temp. In recent days the FG on trusty has been giving me readings of 995, 996 on different brews near FG in FV. I've just used it to make a decision on when to bottle the Stouter Stout recipe, for example.

How do I calibrate?? Cheers.

interesting.

so, from what this thread is telling me, the diy kit hydrometer, which without an airlock is the only implement we have to test fermentation, is a piece of rubbish and is only reliable in giving you a consistent result over two days - although the result won't be accurate.

dammit. i didn't think i'd need to go back to the brew shop for a while...

Coopers are stand up abour replacing their faulth hydrometers, but, and this is a big but, wbere is the quality control here, these faulty bloody things cause so much anguish to new brewers.. frustrating.

To callibrate your hydrometers test in water at the right temps, if it reads .995 you know you need to adjust by .005 for your actual reading.

I firmly believe coopers can, and should do better in this area, I fail to understand how they can let themselvs and customers down in this

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to stick up for the hydrometers- a few people have complained over the past few months that I've been on here.

I've not got two, and both read exactly 1.000 in my tap water, straight out of the tap. And here's photographic proof.

perfect.jpg

My only gripe is that they don't like sitting in the hot sun[ninja]

wonky.jpg

The tube on the left is brand new and dead straight....

Archived