Coopers Community

Plastic Hydrometer

Biermoasta

Whilst I have to acknowledge that some brewers have had issues with their plastic hydrometers they purchased with their DIY kits, I have tested mine in 20 degree tap water. Mine measures 0.999 - I can live with that.

My glass hydrometer from my original kit measures 1.004 in the same water sample.

Once again I can live with that - I just adjust the readings when I am sampling brews.

Having said that, I would imagine Coopers are probably disappointed with their suppliers given the number of faulty hydrometers they have had to deal with since the introduction of the DIY kits. Maybe they should consider reverting to the glass ones. I don't imagine the number of brewers out there dropping/smashing hydrometers is that high considering the total number of brewers around.

Just a thought.....

I've not got two' date=' and both read exactly 1.000 in my tap water, straight out of the tap. [/quote']

So I assume your water is 20C straight out of the tap?

If it isn't then your hydrometers are in fact out.

Bill, I thought about measuring the temp, but getting the reading of 1.000 straight out excited me too much.

But, I measure it just for you [roll]

lol... yeah I would have been stoked too I guess. However, if the correct reading is at the wrong temperature then it is only logical to assume that at the right temperature you should have an incorrect reading. Really sorry to burst the bubble on ya [crying]

Archived