Coopers Community

Lack of suds

ale4that

G'day all

I'm a novice when it comes to brewing, but I've had a fair amount of experience swallowing the amber nectar.

I purchased and went about brewing a favorite of mine Coopers sparkling ale, all went well until bottling. I used 375ml Coopers twist top bottles with carbonation drops and crow seal tops, but after recommended time in the bottles I found the brew lacking carbonation ( flat as). Can anyone give me some advice as to avoiding this problem again? And is it possible salvage the flat brew I have been left with? Cheers

First thing: What temps did you leave the bottles sitting at for the carbonation? If it was just local weather temps, chances are good they were not high enough for the secondary ferment required to carbonate the brew - i.e. get the 'suds' you want. 😄

To salvage, put the bottles for a few days in a warm place where they can stay above 18°. This should wake the yeast up and let it do its job properly.

2 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

If all else fails re prime the bottles. As Journey man says you need to get them above 18 degrees, so try this first.

Hmm... I wonder if he did prime them 1st time around? Easy to forget things when it's all unfamiliar.

3 hours ago, Journeyman said:

Hmm... I wonder if he did prime them 1st time around? Easy to forget things when it's all unfamiliar.

6 hours ago, ale4that said:

I used 375ml Coopers twist top bottles with carbonation drops and crow seal tops, but after recommended time in the bottles I found the brew lacking carbonation ( flat as).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ale4that said:

G'day all

I'm a novice when it comes to brewing, but I've had a fair amount of experience swallowing the amber nectar.

I purchased and went about brewing a favorite of mine Coopers sparkling ale, all went well until bottling. I used 375ml Coopers twist top bottles with carbonation drops and crow seal tops, but after recommended time in the bottles I found the brew lacking carbonation ( flat as). Can anyone give me some advice as to avoiding this problem again? And is it possible salvage the flat brew I have been left with? Cheers

Hi Ale4That, Welcome to the Forum.  Lots of help here for the novice and experienced brewer alike.

I had the issue with screw top bottle early on too.  Usually, when I went to open the bottle the cap came off really easily, almost as if it had just been sitting on the bottle.  I started to clamp the caps on the screw tops twice with the bottle capper.  Plus after the cap was on I gave it a check twist to make sure it was not 1/16th open.  Pretty much had no problems from then on.

You can re-prime the flat bottles, but you will need to cap them really quickly, because you will still have CO2 fizz up.  Like others have already said, just make sure they can carbonate at a good temperature.

G'day all,

I would like to thank all who replied as I know the answers I got will help fix this. The first answer is going to be where I start as its not 18c where they have been kept and try the other suggestions from there. Cheers