Coopers Community

My first Stout !

Hey guys! First time on these forums but just wanted to share my first ever Brew. 

• 500G LDM
  • 1 Can Coopers Stout 1.7KG
  • Brew Enhancer 3
  • Yeast

OG was approx 1050, 20L Water and my Temp is sitting around 22c (into day 2). 

I am thinking about adding Cold Brew Coffee (approx 750ML) on the day I bottle by just tipping it in, not sure if this is the best way!

If anyone has any tips on how to make a nice stout (strong) using this kit please let me know, any advice appreciated! 

Cheers! 

• Like 1

Hey mate I was actually just looking at that!!! Def going to be my next one!!! 

Found my FV is sitting around 22C so trying to currently bring the temp down with a cold towel and opening the window in the laundry to let in cool air!

Hopefully only 4 days or so to go until I can bottle ! 

So my temp in the FV dropped from 20c to 18c between midnight and 4am so put a doona blanket over it, is this going ruin my beer ? 

hoping it will go back to around 20-22 soon :-(

12 hours ago, JoeB7 said:

Is dextrose more forgiving in a stout? Have been warned off using more than 250grams due to 'sour' flavours

Not sure about the sour flavours.  However, I thought that the dextrose hides in the Russian Imperial Stout.  With three cans of hopped extract, you almost need something to ferment out completely to increase the ABV, without altering the taste or bitterness.  A kilo of dextrose with a plain Lager can would be a different matter.  Think back to your first beer, if you used the can that comes with the Coopers Brew Kit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Avgne  - don't really understand the science, but brews seem to turn out much better if you leave them in the fermenter for between 10-14 days before bottling (even if they are finished before that). I think the small swing in temperature will be ok.

Mark

• Thanks 1

Hi @Shamus O'Sean with the crappy Melb weather (and until i get my heat belt) if my Stout is in the FV at 20C is this to low? 

First time brewing so just have alot of questions! I am on Day 3 of Fermentation in the FV. I also have the following on the Temp Strip please see photo attached, am I at 18C or 20C ?

Any help appreciated! 

Cheers ! 

IMG_7578.jpg

2 hours ago, AVNGE said:

Also just checked the FG and it currently is at 1019, OG was approx 1050

Going to be a low ABV (4%) on those numbers. Have you checked it over a few days? It probably hasn't finished yet.

1 minute ago, ozlizard said:

Going to be a low ABV (4%) on those numbers. Have you checked it over a few days? It probably hasn't finished yet.

Hey mate, I checked it today which is day 2.5 almost day 3. How many more days would you say I should wait until I do my final FG reading? 

Wrap a blanket or beach towel around your FV @AVNGE . At least try & retain some fermentation heat, and get a good digital thermometer (probably 2). I taped a patch of pipe insulation to FV for my heat pad probe. I also tuck them in at night

20200601_161342.jpg

20200601_161330.jpg

Also the thermo strip is a guide. My T/Stat probe is 14.8°C but I'd hazard a guess the strip tells me 13°C

Edited by JoeB7
missed something
  • Thanks 1

@JoeB7 Thankyou for the photos, I have got a MKII - Temperature Controller (Heat & Cool) [4mm Probe for Distillation] arriving in the mail along with a heat belt that I will connect to it. Hopefully that will help me regulate the temp in the FV!!

Currently have a doona wrapped around the FV and it is staying around 19/20C !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AVNGE said:

How many more days would you say I should wait until I do my final FG reading? 

I would wait at least 7 days in total then start checking. You can usually tell when the wort is slowing down so keep an eye on it. My last brew was in the fermenter for 11 days before bottling.

• Thanks 1

On 5/31/2020 at 9:47 PM, JoeB7 said:

Is dextrose more forgiving in a stout? Have been warned off using more than 250grams due to 'sour' flavours

The old adding sugar will make your brew taste cidery - I think a lot of us fear sugar because of that. A lot of Belgian beers like Duvel make use of sugar and they don't taste sour. Having said that you don't want you entire beer made from sugar the malt brings a lot of nutrients for the yeast. 

Shamus's response pretty much covers it. Another reason to use sugar is it reduces the body so it won't be so filling. If you wanted to maintain the alcohol using malt you would need about 1.3 kg (30% extra) of LDME. If you put this in 20L and fermented it on its own you would end up with an FG of about 1.006 vs 1.000 with sugar. 

• Thanks 1

Hey @JoeB7 thought I would share an update on my temp control for the Stout, currently day 4 moving into day 5. 

Been sitting on 20.5C approx with the probe taped to the side of the FV. Once I get the heat belt I might remove the doonas and sleeping bag. Got a pumpkin ale next on things to do once this stout is bottled. Also had some helpers tonight lol see pics below

IMG_7994.jpg.dbc0b9522d8455b3e242bde0454d12c2.jpg

IMG_7997.jpg.ad0fd35e351d52eba53b10d7142f2d12.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, AVNGE said:

Hey @JoeB7 thought I would share an update on my temp control for the Stout, currently day 4 moving into day 5. 

Been sitting on 20.5C approx with the probe taped to the side of the FV. Once I get the heat belt I might remove the doonas and sleeping bag. Got a pumpkin ale next on things to do once this stout is bottled. Also had some helpers tonight lol see pics below

IMG_7994.jpg.dbc0b9522d8455b3e242bde0454d12c2.jpg

IMG_7997.jpg.ad0fd35e351d52eba53b10d7142f2d12.jpg

Brew dogs!! Always good for cleaning up spills. I leave my blankets on in winter just to save energy, but I do keep an eye on it doesn't over heat. Here am I a fridgy & haven't got my arse into gear to make a climate controlled FV chamber🙄

Mrs is American and loves Pumpkin beer so thought I better make some ! I started a thread for that brew on this site: 

Fingers crossed it doesnt end up tasting like crap lol!