Coopers Community

My first Stout !

SG today is sitting at approx 1012. Did a taste test and not sure what I should be looking out for? I am on day 6. @Shamus O'Sean could you please let me know if there is any sort of taste I should be looking out for that could be unusual? My sample was drinkable, smelt a bit "gassy" not sure how else to describe it, beer had bubbles, not a whole lot of head. My recipe is at the top of this thread. 

Cheers! 

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I think that @Instigator has it pretty right.  Stout will hide most minor issues.  Anything really bad will be obvious.

Looks like your brew might be close to finished.  Check again tomorrow and if stable you could think about bottling.

Hey Mate, 

Temp this morning was 19.8C and SG is 1012/1013. So far it has been sitting in the Vat for 6 days

Added in approx 600ml of cold brew coffee concentrated. Almost at day 7, stout taste like a stout but not amazing a bit weak. Has some decent carbonation and a bit of a head when poured into the hydrometer tube. 

Bottles have bee soaked over night in Oxyper, rinsed out with hot water now drying in a rack. Will hit them with Stellarsan on the day of bottling and should be good to go! 

IMG_8288.jpg

• Like 2

Day 7: SG 1012 (been sitting around this number for 3 days now) temp is 18.8C. 

I have had conflicting advice, one person told me to leave the stout for at least another 6-10 days after the FG settles before bottling, another person told me to just bottle it once FG is consistent 2 days in a row. 

Has anyone else on here had experience brewing the Coopers stout regarding how many days they say on FG before bottling? 

Cheers! 

IMG_8301.jpg

1 hour ago, AVNGE said:

Day 7: SG 1012 (been sitting around this number for 3 days now) temp is 18.8C. 

I have had conflicting advice, one person told me to leave the stout for at least another 6-10 days after the FG settles before bottling, another person told me to just bottle it once FG is consistent 2 days in a row. 

Has anyone else on here had experience brewing the Coopers stout regarding how many days they say on FG before bottling? 

Not sure why anyone would say "6-10 days after the FG settles" but quite a few people give the yeast some extra time after FG to clean up. But it's usually like 2 days at a couple of degrees higher than the ferment temps. But the reason for the extra time is to let the yeast do its job, not anything to do with the bottling etc.

And for ales, strictly speaking, if you've been at a set temp for the ferment, there's not likely much the yeast will do that it hasn't already once you reach FG for 2 - 3 days. If your temps have been up and down, then it can be good to go extra time at a specific temp to remove any possible odd flavours and aromas.

Hey @Journeyman thanks for the feedback. My FG reading for the past 3.5 days is 1013 at an avg of 20.2C. Lowest has been about 18C and highest 20.2C since Day 1. 

Might go ahead and bottle tonight or Sunday morning! 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, AVNGE said:

After 3 weeks of sitting in the bottle I tried some of my stout, not bad but not mind blowing. Wondering if it will taste any different in a few more weeks time! 

Not that I'm a massive stout or porter drinker but I try to put down my one or two batches a year in summer or early autumn for winter drinking. I think you will find after another 3 weeks it will be better.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Not that I'm a massive stout or porter drinker but I try to put down my one or two batches a year in summer or early autumn for winter drinking. I think you will find after another 3 weeks it will be better.

+1

12 hours ago, AVNGE said:

After 3 weeks of sitting in the bottle I tried some of my stout, not bad but not mind blowing. Wondering if it will taste any different in a few more weeks time! 

Malt driven beers as opposed to hop driven beers, generally improve with ageing. Given this brew will likely be consumed fairly quickly, try & put a couple of bottles aside from this batch & try them at 6-8 weeks aged. It should be noticeably more enjoyable then.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

15 hours ago, AVNGE said:

Thanks guys I will try another one in about 2-3 weeks time (which will be 6 weeks in the bottle, and see what its like !

My Coffee stout at 4 weeks was... interesting. All the flavours were there but it was like drinking an expensive red wine - this flavour here, that flavour there, after flavours coming in separately.

At 8 weeks+ it had all come together and was smooth as, a silky mouth feel and a blend of the flavours that had been separate experiences before.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...