Coopers Community

Draught Kit

bigrmac

Checked this morning and it's at 1.012, I will be checking every morning now but I take it it will be somewhere in the region of 1.010 when fully finished?

As I have brewed this at 20o  is there any requirement to raise the temp. for the diacetyl rest? or can I just leave it at its current temp for an extra 2 days after fermentation is finished, and before I cold crash?

3 hours ago, bigrmac said:

somewhere in the region of 1.010 when fully finished?

1012 could be it.

for the diacetyl rest?

No, not usually a thing for ale yeast.

can I just leave it at its current temp for an extra 2 days after fermentation is finished

Yes, most people aim for two weeks all up.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

1012 could be it.

No, not usually a thing for ale yeast.

Yes, most people aim for two weeks all up.

It is the larger kit, however i believe its an ale yeast and its been brewed at ale temp. I previously carried out a D-rest on a larger kit but that was using a larger yeast that was cold fermented, and that was 2 years ago!

Cheers for the advice 

I'm sure someone more experienced can answer better than me but here goes;

D-rest - Diacetyl is a byproduct of fermentation, its what gives a buttery flavour to foods. Not so desirable in beer. raising the brew temp by a couple of degrees before the brew is finished fermenting helps get rid of it.

Cold crash - is a rapid cooling of the brew after fermentation's finished to help clear it up. Temp gets dropped to about 2 as quickly as possible I believe 

Thats my understand anyways

• Like 1

Many HB'ers raise the temp a few degrees after FG to let the yeast 'clean up' after itself.  The idea is, it will be more active and do housekeeping for some of the byproducts of the ferment. If you want to go googling, the ferment is a VERY complex process - just why it produces a Kraussen and then removes it is interesting in itself.

I think the raise-the-temp idea came from the diacetyl rest process but most brews simply don't need it these days for that reason and I haven't heard people complain about their beer because they didn't do the raise-temp thing.

If you've been at 20° and chomping at the bit for your beer, maybe skip it this time? 😄

Edited by Journeyman

On 4/14/2020 at 8:31 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

1.044 isn't strong, probably only be about 4.6% ABV once bottled and carbonated. Strong is like 6% or higher. 

Everything is comparative, it will be strong compared to what I have brewed before..

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bigrmac said:

Everything is comparative, it will be strong compared to what I have brewed before..

I haven't brewed anything UNDER 6.0 yet. 😄 Just bottled a stout that clocks in at 8.0 and had a toucan early on that was 8.3. 😄 Tends to give a 'warm tip of ear' effect before the bottle is done.

So I’m commenting here in draught kit as I was deciding between draught and lager, I went for the lager this time.... but I’m interested to see what you guys think.... on the kit instruction it suggests that a temp between 21-27c is where it should sit..... let us know what you I’ll think tee this as mine is around 23-24 with current temp.

8 hours ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

Wow wow wow, this colour is just ridiculous, I guess it’s not an amber ale so it makes sense, but this just looks like liquid caramel.... and the krausen is about an 1” and a half thick

588E55E4-681C-4A13-AF3B-444691DBF886.jpeg

Mine (Lager) looks exactly the same.

Here is what it looked like after bottling today;

image.thumb.png.c8326a0ec03a01dd0bb34babc384c2c1.png

The pic makes it look a lot darker than it really is but it hasn't cleared up as much as I hoped after the cold crash.

Its in the fridge at 18o for 2 weeks of secondary fermentation, what would people suggest for conditioning? 

IMG_0811.HEIC

Mine (Lager) looks exactly the same.

Here is what it looked like after bottling today;

image.thumb.png.c8326a0ec03a01dd0bb34babc384c2c1.png

The pic makes it look a lot darker than it really is but it hasn't cleared up as much as I hoped after the cold crash.

Its in the fridge at 18o for 2 weeks of secondary fermentation, what would people suggest for conditioning? 

IMG_0811.HEIC 709.23 kB · 1 download

I love these bottles, are they old grolsch bottles? Or carlsberg or something, and how do they hold up sealing wise?

7 hours ago, bigrmac said:

Um... What is 'secondary fermentation' if it is not conditioning? Is it bottled or still in the FV? 

Secondary fermentation is in the bottles, at least over here where racking to another fermenter isn't common. 

I'd just leave it at 18 for the two or three weeks then store wherever. As long as they don't get stupidly warm they'll be fine, and coming into winter it's unlikely they would anyway. 

1 minute ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Secondary fermentation is in the bottles, at least over here where racking to another fermenter isn't common. 

I'd just leave it at 18 for the two or three weeks then store wherever. As long as they don't get stupidly warm they'll be fine, and coming into winter it's unlikely they would anyway. 

Yeah, I know that. But the post suggests he's separating out conditioning from secondary fermentation. And doing conditioning in another FV will blow the lid and leave him with flat beer. 😄