Coopers Community

Draught Kit

bigrmac

20 hours ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

I love these bottles, are they old grolsch bottles? Or carlsberg or something, and how do they hold up sealing wise?

My (now) brother-in-law gave them to me, I think they are from IKEA. Only used them the once but from what I remember they held up really well

17 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Secondary fermentation is in the bottles, at least over here where racking to another fermenter isn't common. 

I'd just leave it at 18 for the two or three weeks then store wherever. As long as they don't get stupidly warm they'll be fine, and coming into winter it's unlikely they would anyway. 

We are coming into the UK summer now and its starting to warm up. The bottles are currently in a temp controlled beer fridge, I have set it to 18for the secondary but with it being a lager i though dropping the temp down for conditioning is the norm?

They'd still be fine. UK summers aren't anything like as hot as Australian ones.

If it's been done with a proper lager yeast then yes chilling them down for 2-3 months is the proper lagering process, but I wouldn't want to be tying up the brew fridge for that long. If it's just the kit ale yeast then it doesn't really matter.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

• 1 month later...

Well this brew is all gone now but I have to say it was my best yet by a good margin, very drinkable but still with room for improvement. 

I might try using a similar recipe again but use a proper lager yeast rather than the kit stuff and see what difference that makes. I suspect it would make for a cleaner brew which is may main complaint with this one. Even after conditioning it was a little cloudy.