Coopers Community

Hops - Storage and variety

Aussiekraut

Just got a delivery of some hop varieties and was wondering - Mail order hops and hop storage problematic?

I presume suppliers of these hop products keep these in their freezers but what happens when they are mail ordered or even picked up from a LHBS.

The satchels are well and truly thawed out / warm by the time they come in the post or get home so is it ok to re-freeze them until required or is just fridge from here on until used up?

Cheers

34 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Just got a delivery of some hop varieties and was wondering - Mail order hops and hop storage problematic?

I presume suppliers of these hop products keep these in their freezers but what happens when they are mail ordered or even picked up from a LHBS.

The satchels are well and truly thawed out / warm by the time they come in the post or get home so is it ok to re-freeze them until required or is just fridge from here on until used up?

I think most suppliers vac-seal them so unless they are more than one season old there should not be a problem. And the enquiries I've made they give the year for the hops, presumably when picked and processed. (if pellets)

42 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Cheers

I freeze them. I also vac seal them after I've opened them and continue to store the rest in the freezer.

Edited by Popo

49 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Cheers

Yep just put them in the freezer, they'll be fine. I get most of my hops from America so they probably warm up for a week or more before I get them. All vacuum sealed in foil like bags, so I just put them in the freezer. They're always fine. 

20 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

My wife went to Big W to do shopping, saw these because she knows I like Galaxy Hops, I didn’t ask her to get them.

Didn’t know they sold hops ?

Are they real Galaxy Hops ?

95110EE2-5897-4340-96C5-F3F3717EB76C.jpeg

I'd imagine they are 😂

8 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yep just put them in the freezer, they'll be fine. I get most of my hops from America so they probably warm up for a week or more before I get them. All vacuum sealed in foil like bags, so I just put them in the freezer. They're always fine. 

I'd imagine they are 😂

Yeah looking back sounded a silly question, just didn’t think Big W would sell them 🤣🤣

On 1/22/2020 at 5:47 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'd imagine they are 😂

$4.50 or $375 per kg.

• Haha 1