Coopers Community

Inkbird settings

Aussiekraut

59 minutes ago, VFrizz47 said:

@Kegory @Shamus O'Sean @Otto Von Blotto So one last question, where do you guys have your temperature probe? I just have mine taped sitting on the bottom floor of the kegerator right next to my quarter keg. I have found that the bottom is the coldest part of the kegerator other than the back of the unit, and obviously cause heat rises to the top of the kegerator. With that said, I have a freezer/fridge thermometer sitting on the floor of the kegerator as well right next to the temperature probe and both temps are the same every time I check on them. 

Most of the time I do the same as Otto. 

The only difference is one of my fermenters is a Keg King Snub Nose fermenter with a central temperature well.  So I put the probe in the temperature well.  The theory is this is measuring the middle of the fermenter.  Which is true.  However, if the wort is a fair way off the intended fermentation temperature, I put the probe on the outside until the temperature stabilises.  My fear is that by the time the temperature in the middle of the wort is heated or cooled to my preferred fermentation temperature, the outside of the wort will either be very warm or very cool, and not ideal for the brew.  My theory is taping the probe on the outside means less fluctuation while the temperature stabilises.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

Another question on this topic is what temperature setting do you put the fridge on?

The coldest setting or the warmest setting? 

My lagering fridge wants to freeze things whether it is set to warm or cold so, after some ruminations, I set it near to coldest.

1 hour ago, VFrizz47 said:

@Kegory @Shamus O'Sean @Otto Von Blotto So one last question, where do you guys have your temperature probe? I just have mine taped sitting on the bottom floor of the kegerator right next to my quarter keg. I have found that the bottom is the coldest part of the kegerator other than the back of the unit, and obviously cause heat rises to the top of the kegerator. With that said, I have a freezer/fridge thermometer sitting on the floor of the kegerator as well right next to the temperature probe and both temps are the same every time I check on them. 

My probe is taped onto a bottle of pepsi I got from KFC some years ago that sat in my food fridge until I found a good use for it. That bottle used to sit in the back of the fridge but I just moved the fridge to make room for my fermenting fridge so now it sits in the door.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

I am just setting my brew fridge up with the Inkbird I can set all parameters except for delay I can't get it to go below 3

When the cooling shuts off the temp rises and by the time it comes back on the temp has gone up 1 degree

Any suggestions?

Also nothing in the fridge at the moment so the probe is just sitting on a shelf

Sounds like it's working how it's meant to. You can't set the delay any lower than 3 minutes as far as I know. Its purpose is to delay turning the fridge on if the temperature rises too quickly after it shuts off. 

You can set the cooling temperature differential or whatever it's called as low as 0.3 degrees, meaning it'll only warm up that much before it kicks the fridge on again. Ideal for fermentation provided the probe is measuring the brew temp, you wouldn't set it that low if it's just dangling in the fridge. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Sounds like it's working how it's meant to. You can't set the delay any lower than 3 minutes as far as I know. Its purpose is to delay turning the fridge on if the temperature rises too quickly after it shuts off. 

You can set the cooling temperature differential or whatever it's called as low as 0.3 degrees, meaning it'll only warm up that much before it kicks the fridge on again. Ideal for fermentation provided the probe is measuring the brew temp, you wouldn't set it that low if it's just dangling in the fridge. 

Thanks OVB I checked it after a while and it is working as it should I reckon the problem was I had only turned the fridge on so it wasn't holding temp after an hour it is holding temp and working beautifully 

Glad I tried it out as now I know when I'm putting a brew down to put the fridge on a couple of hours before to get it cooled 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Where do you guys run your chords from the Inkbird into the fridge

I've got mine running straight over the top of the door

I used the drain hole on the back wall of the fridge, above the compressor hump for my inkbird probe and then a separate digital thermometer lead via the flexible door seal  👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

Where do you guys run your chords from the Inkbird into the fridge

I've got mine running straight over the top of the door

I am the same as @Classic Brewing Co.  I come in from the hinge side.  The seal fits closely over the power and temperature probe cable.  Just be careful coming in from any of the open edges of the fridge.  If your cables are a good round size, they might create a gap between the seal and the door.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

What is a good place to get an Inkbird from?

I just got two ITC308 WiFi from Amazon for under $50 each to replace my non-WiFi ones but that appears to have been a special. eBay is another good place to find a bargain.

Just be aware that you get the right probe. They come with either the straight metal tip you tape around the fermenter or a snub tip with a suction cup. The latter aren't that great for fermenters but I have one sitting in my keezer I use for lagering, with 2 kegs in it. Works great.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Got myself a free fridge today., cooling down to -0.5 degrees. Running a test with my new inkbird now. Perfect day for it with  37 degrees outside and 26 in the garage 

IMG_8165.jpeg

It'll work better when you close the door.

• Haha 5