Coopers Community

No krausen during fermentation

Aussiekraut

I'm sure it's all going fine but I have an unusual situation.

I started a simple k&k on Tuesday. I aerated the wort well before I pitched the yeast and it had a fair bit of light coloured froth on top. The next day there was some additional krausen forming, indicated by some darker froth and the airlock was happily bubbling away. A day later, the airlock was still bubbling happily but there is no sign of krausen whatsoever. Not a single bubble is floating on top of the wort. According to the airlock, there is still decent activity with a bubble every maybe 15 seconds. 

Interestingly enough, the bench sample does show krausen and is still dropping SG, so it's still fermenting as well.

Any idea what happened there? The yeast used is a Saflager S-23.

Krausen to me are a mysterious phenomenon ... I have done brews with similar ingredients and different generations of the same yeast from my yeast bank and some get a large heavy krausen and some don't and I have have no idea why.  All i know is the SG drops and the brews ferment ...  

I had an interesting one during the week.  Split a Real Ale can brew on the weekend.  One just with LDM.  The other with LDM and Vic Secret short boil and steep.

The plain one had a good standard krausen.  The Vic Secret hop version had no krausen, but had good Schweppes style effervescence on the surface.  Both have dropped SG nicely though.

Also the grain bill when I use US05 with a standard grain bill I get a good Krausen nearly around an inch but I have one of my brews with oats, flaked barley and flaked wheat there is no krausen at all.