Coopers Community

Thoughts on this Urn

Howdy. Going to make the jump to AG shortly. Initially was thinking of going down the 35L brewzilla route but thought I’d check Fleabay for an urn for a BIAB option. Came across this 48l guy. At $120 it seems decent compared to $400 odd. 

Pros and cons from those in the know would be greatly appreciated.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173912313299

TIA

Looks good to me but I don't BIAB yet .... all I know that it may need is a false bottom  so that the element and the grains are in separate sections or some reason like that ... also I have seen them with level gauges as well so you can tell how many litres are in the wort and many also change the tap ... but I am far from knowledgeable with this stuff so will follow with interest ...  Kelsey is a BIAB brewer looking forward to his input ... 

• Like 2

It would probably work fine, definitely shorter and wider than the crown urns so you'll probably boil off more volume. Definitely replace the tap with a ball valve. Those taps are useless for brewing. It would be better if it had a sight gauge but you could always install one I imagine, or etch volume markings on the inside. 

False bottoms aren't a necessity, but if you want to be able to heat the mash without lifting the grain bag, then you will need one. 

• Thanks 2

40 L Crown/Birko urns $300+ brand new. Gotta be a reason for the price difference. 

Thinner steel, different stainless grade,  cheaper element(s), lower power element(s), dodgy dial, who knows? 

Someone else on the forum bought one like this a month or two back.  Maybe look for their comments. 

If you go ahead let us know how yours goes 

• Thanks 1

I've had my crown for 7 years in October and it's still as good as the first time I used it. It may be more expensive initially but it will last for years. Whether you would get that kind of quality from a no name Chinese made unit, who knows. If it was me I'd save the extra coin and buy something that is well known to be excellent quality, rather than taking a chance just to save a couple of hundred dollars on a one off payment. 

• Like 4

It was me, I bought one about two months ago and have put maybe 6 (23ltrs)  brews down with it. Beware it is not 48ltrs, more like 38ltrs. It gets to a nice boil then turns off till the temp drops a little  then kicks in again, not ideal but  so far the beers have been good. I got mine with ebay discount for $110.00, I figure seeing I already have the urn, an ermersion heater is still a cheap option,

cheers

John

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, John304 said:

As Kelsey said, pay the extra and it will do you a long service,

cheers

But in the interim, like you said, add an immersion heater coil and you'll be good for a while. 

If you upgrade later,  the cheap urn could be good for heating sparge water.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

But in the interim, like you said, add an immersion heater coil and you'll be good for a while. 

If you upgrade later,  the cheap urn could be good for heating sparge water.

Exactly, I will keep using it for sure, I have posted some of my beers , nothing wrong with them,

• Like 1