Coopers Community

Leftovers IPA

Hi All,

I have some ingredients either not used or left over from other brews that I want to use up - I want to make a hoppy IPA in the craft FV so will just be a 9 litre brew. I've been disappointed with the hoppiness of my brews so far so may have gone a bit over the top with the hops in this one... Thinking of the following:

9 litre brew

INGREDIENTS:

• 1.3kg Long Play IPA
  • 250g Unhopped Malt Extract
  • 200g Carapils
  • 50g Simcoe
  • 50g Citra
  • 50g Centennial
  • 50g Amarillo
  • BRY-97 Yeast

METHOD:

• Cold Steep grains overnight in 3l water
  • Mix Malt Extract with steeped water and bring to boil
  • 12.5g Simcoe + Citra + Centennial + Amarillo @ 10
  • 12.5g Simcoe + Citra + Centennial + Amarillo @ 1
  • Turn off heat, let sit for 15
  • place pot in cold water / ice bath for 15
  • Add Long Play IPA + malt/hop steep to FV
  • Add water to 9 litres
  • Pitch yeast at 18C
  • Ferment @ 18C for around 5 days then increase temp to 21C until finished
  • Dry Hop 25g Simcoe + Citra + Centennial + Amarillo @ 14C for 4 days
  • Cold Crash for 5-7 days

This will be the first time I'm not following a Cooper's recipe so any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers, Gaz.

Hey Shamus,

It was a tip in a Brew Dog recipe - they reckon to get the best result from a dry hop to wait until fermentation is finished then drop the temp to 14C and leave the hops in for 5 days.

I figured it was worth a shot to see if the result was any better than my previous dry hops.

Cheers, Gaz.

• Thanks 1

It’s going to be BITTER too Gaz but a IPA should be. 

Dry hop temps are a personal choice, you’ll extract slightly different characters from dry hopping warm or cold. However the colder you dry hop the more you’ll need to use and time for the same effect. 

• Thanks 1

This is now in the FV. Followed the recipe as per above except for the Carapils - changed to 100g on advice from OVB. Not sure if I’ll drop the temp for the dry hop yet - I have a few days to think about that.

CC2F1BEF-3600-4867-A8FF-5D98078DDF30.jpeg

• Like 1

Gazzala,

It really depends on what sort of character you want from the hop. If you dry hop at ferm temps you will extract oils quicker and different components of that oil will be soluble in beer at different temps too. 

I have a single hop beer that I really enjoy that I dry hop warm and then dry hop cold. Gives different qualities too the dry hop. 

• Thanks 1

I guess I need to experiment a bit. I think I’m going to DH this one at ferment temp then I may brew it again and change the DH method to see how it changes the final brew.

I don’t feel that I’ve gotten much from dry hopping in my previous brews so probably a good idea to do some experimenting to find out what works for me and what doesn’t.

34 minutes ago, Popo said:

That's really interesting @The Captain!!

What differences do you get in that beer?

More roundness to the aroma, like its another hop really. Just gives you more spectrum of that hop IMO. 

Maybe it comes from pulling some of the grassier notes at cold temps and all the fruit at FV temps, I’m not specifically sure but I have definitely noticed a difference 

• Thanks 1