Coopers Community

Galaxy smash

Guys I'm looking to start biab using my 19 ltr big W pot. I've got galaxy hops in the fridge so would like to try a simple smash using this. Can anyone suggest a basic recipe to suit this pot?

@King Ruddager

I've watched your Galactipa 3 video and was hoping to draw some ideas for a scaled down version of this, less the medium crystal and caramalt. (Happy to leave in if noticeably better)

Did u do a 30 min, 5 mins and FO(+10mim) addition only?

What were your hop additions? Watching the video it seems they weren't the same as what was listed in the description.

Can you suggest something a bit more suitable for a smash, bearing in mind it'll prob end up about 12 or so litre batch?

Galaxy throws a very harsh bitterness if exposed to high temperatures for long periods. I chill my wort & start my additions for a Galaxy/Ella Kolsch @ 20mins & below. The last version I did of this recently was from 15mins left in the boil & below. Turned out well.

If I was no-chilling for the first time I would likely make one addition @ maybe 5-10mins for a basic IBU level around 15-20 & then whirlpool or cube hop a measured amount that might contribute a few more IBU's. That would be dependent on the expected body (FG) remaining in the beer after fermentation & the style of beer you wish to make.

Given you are looking to no-chill, do yourself a favour & monitor the temp of your wort in the cube once you've filled it, as this will help you immeasurably moving forward with hop additions using this practice.

No-chilling is a shift, & understanding how your hops react to different time-frames at high temps is a big part of making good beer with the method.

Best of luck with it.

Lusty.

If you were going do a “SMaSH” beer I would just deviate from the rules slightly and use a nice clean bittering hop like warrior or magnum. In small amounts it won’t effect the taste of the Galaxy. So you’ll still get the effect of a SMaSH style beer. 

Ive also done an experiment a while back using Galaxy as the bittering hop in a couple of versions of a pacific ale Ive been working on.  In one I used the full amount of a bittering charge of Galaxy. The other, I actually halved the bittering charge only. 

The one with half the bittering charge came out a delightful bitterness the full charge was very very bitter, almost undrinkable. The recipe from memory was aimed around 28 ibus so quite mild really. 

What im saying with this is that it’s other compounds making up the bitterness as well as the Alpha Acids which increases significantly the amount of bitterness on the tongue. 

I found it interesting anyway. 

39 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

If you were going do a “SMaSH” beer I would just deviate from the rules slightly and use a nice clean bittering hop like warrior or magnum. In small amounts it won’t effect the taste of the Galaxy. So you’ll still get the effect of a SMaSH style beer. 

Ive also done an experiment a while back using Galaxy as the bittering hop in a couple of versions of a pacific ale Ive been working on.  In one I used the full amount of a bittering charge of Galaxy. The other, I actually halved the bittering charge only. 

The one with half the bittering charge came out a delightful bitterness the full charge was very very bitter, almost undrinkable. The recipe from memory was aimed around 28 ibus so quite mild really. 

What im saying with this is that it’s other compounds making up the bitterness as well as the Alpha Acids which increases significantly the amount of bitterness on the tongue. 

I found it interesting anyway. 

Agree Cap. I used galaxy once on a long boil and didn't like it. It wasn't undrinkable but had a really funny taste that I didn't like. That one is firmly in the 20 mins and under category for me.

• Like 1