Coopers Community

It is Cheating - isn't it?

Scottie

18 hours ago, Worthog said:

I could not agree more, and I am just learning to back off the late hops in time and weight, and I am ceasing dry hop completely for my winter Pale Ales.

Cheers

Depends on the hop for me. Some are so good you just want to load them up every chance you get and enjoy the saturated deliciousness. Centennial for example.

Others benefit from being blended or are better with a lighter touch. They just don't have what it takes to be the star of the show in a beer with a big hop load. Bravo or Dr Rudi for example.

I will have to try skipping late boil and flameout additions and rely solely on FWH and a dry hop in a beer where I still want the hops to shine. I suspect it will taste completely different and the hops will fade much faster, but happy to be proven wrong.

Edit: back on topic, I've done 3 FWH kits over the years, 2 from HopDog and another from a local brewery Zierholz. I only dry hopped one of these. All 3 were good, just tasted like a normal all grain beer pretty much. The HopDog Grapefruit rye pale ale was really nice, and saved me the trouble of sourcing, zesting and juicing a bunch of nice grapefruit. 

Cheers, 

John 

Edited by porschemad911

• 4 weeks later...

Dudes

I kegged my Leg Breaker IPA  on Tuesday (the last week with a big Dry Hop) and put down another FWK on Saturday. This time I went for the Mercenary Pale Ale. Go me two brews in a month - I'm on a roll.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

• Like 1

Yeah, but you're cheating Scottie! 😄

If you ever reach your AG brewing gear at the back of the shed & want to sell that plate chiller, PM me. 😉

I'm guessing you're enjoying the FWK brewing?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Haha 2

I think i'll continue cheating until spring time. Winter AG brewing in a coulorbond garage is never fun. I am yet to taste the fruit of my cheating, it will have to be really good to see that plate chiller up for sale. Like "Best Brew Ever" good .

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Cheater 

• Haha 4

I have tried the mercenary and it was well received, but I felt that it needed more hops. I ended up keg hopping with 25g of simcoe and Amarillo, or whatever it suggested. Funny thing is the bottled batch was perfectly hoppy and much more preferred by my friends. But they are not hop heads. So keep that on mind. I think you will like the beers.

I love a good fwk and will gladly buy one when I need to fill a keg fast. The cost is relative to the convenience and I feel well worth it.

Looking forward to the review.

• 3 weeks later...

Kegged my second FWK in a row. Taste is good, both kits finished a bit low for me at 1.006, which is too low for the styles. Looks like I'll need to use a different yeast on my next brew given I'm cheating and have now control over the mash temperatures.

Cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scottie said:

I'm thinking of Northwest Ale Wyeast 1332 if I can get some.

Nice. After you mentioned the yeast, I read up on it. I like how your yeast choice should provide more depth and character, without having to do anything else but swap it out.

• Like 1