Coopers Community

8.5L Craft Brewing Recipes

Hi guys.

I need some recommendations on nice recipes for the 8.5L craft FV. I have had my kit brew (Bewitched Amber Ale) bottled for about a week now so I will try it in another 2 weeks or so. So I am keen to get another brew in the FV soon.

At the moment I am probably looking at still keeping it rather simple and just using the Mr Beer Extracts along with the Unhopped Malt Extract, but I'm not sure which Malt Extract will go well with the different brews? Anyone tried some combinations that have worked well?

Cheers!

Just now, NewBrews said:

Have a look on the recipes page. There’s some great stuff on there. 

Depends on what beer you like to drink!

I have had a bit of a look on there, but most of them require purchasing hops etc which I want to do in the future but I think I should get the simpler stuff downpacked first lol.

Was thinking of doing one of the (maybe North West pale ale) with one of the unhopped malt extracts and seeing how the two go together. But I'm not sure which malt extract to go for.

Thanks 🙂

Ahhh I see.

The Craft Series are designed around only having to use the tin only.

If you were going to add one of the unhopped malt extracts to that one I’d probably stick to the Pale or the Smooth. The Pale will give some biscuit/light toast whereas the smooth will take it a bit darker, adding more caramel flavours. Both will increase the ABV and mouthfeel of the finished beer.

Maybe start with the plain kit for the next one and see where you like to take it next time.

8 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

For some of the craft recipes I have just used 200 grams of Light Dry Malt instead of the unhopped pale malt extract.  Beers turned out fine.

I quite often do that too, just because the LDM is easier to get - I walk past Big W on the way home from work every day.  I've gone the full 500 gm for a couple of IPA's that turned out pretty nice.

11 hours ago, NewBrews said:

Another thought, the next recipe of the month should drop in the next couple of weeks. Why don’t you grab it and give it a go?

Serioudly, if you can cook pasta, you can probably make one of them. 😊

This is what I was gonna suggest too.  I hate to say it, but as far as straight kit brews go, I didn't really like any of the Mr Beer extracts.  None of them were that nice without added hops and grains, they all just tasted like kit to me.  

Another tip from someone who's been down the same road before is to make sure you age any beer you make from those kits for 4 to 6 weeks, they all taste bad when young - haven't had the same issue with the bigger fermenter.  I would recommend the ROTM (recipe of the month) for sure, it allows you to take your brews to the next level for the minimum of fuss and extra work.  I've had mixed results with them - some a bit ordinary, some excellent, but they've all been better than the straight kits.

Something else you can try as a beginner if you like 'big' beers, is to use one of the bigger kit tins from the Coopers series, make it to 10L and don't add any extra malt.  I've heard some of them work quite well that way.  

Thanks for the help guys :). Looks like I might try and get some Light Dry Malt and add 200g into the next brew to see how it goes.

I will let the brew age for atleast 4 weeks before trying it... I have the Bewitched Amber Ale that come with the kit currently ageing, its at about 1 week now.

I will eventually be getting the 23L kit but will work with the Craft kit until then. Thanks for the tips and if anyone else has any good tips please feel free to post them :).

Cheers.

Pale malt extract goes well with just about anything. Others like amber and dark extract are more suited to those styles of beer. 

In other words if you add pale extract to any kit, it won't change the style, but if for example you used amber extract with a pale ale kit, it would push it towards amber ale territory. Same with the dark extract.

Thanks for the quick answers guys.

I've just bit the bullet and got a 23L Coopers Kit from Big W as it was on special and I thought why not lol...

Once my Temp Controller arrives (should be here in the next few days) I will start the brew. Then I can move onto the recipes that most of you guys brew in the bigger FV. Can't wait to try them out :).

Something I've been doing that works quite well is to use that small kit for small batch extract brews.  It sounds complicated until you look into it.  All you need is a can of light dry malt, or I'm not sure about this but maybe 2 and a half of the boxes, some hops and a 20 litre stock pot which you can get from Big W for $10.  Then you just google around looking for hop boil schedules for the hops you've chosen and bam.  My most recent effort was LDM + El Dorado, a small amount for bittering and loads in the last 15 minutes and at flameout.  It was surprisingly good, the only problem with it was 10 litres runs out way too quickly!

I know you're looking for absolute beginner stuff but this is really simple.  Just google extract brewing and you'll find a million simple articles explaining it.  My method was a bit 'she'll be right' and it still turned out better than most of the (more expensive) kits n bits brews I've done.

• 2 weeks later...

I am late to the party Mitchellscott but attached is a spreadsheet of all the recipes on the Coopers site.  The spreadsheet is filtered to display only the 8.5, 9. 9.5 and 10 liter recipes for the craft fermenter.  You can further filter the list by Difficulty, the base extract kit ,fermentables and various other ways.  Each brew name is linked to its recipe page on this site.

Coopers Recipes v1.4.xlsx

Archived