Coopers Community

Might have a dud first brew

Anthony999

I put my first brew down.  I bought a kit of gumtree, not used still in box untouched.  I pulled it out, cleaned it with warm water, 2 tablespoons of bleach in about 5 litres of water then rinsed it out with water again.  Followed the proceedure with brew going down at temp of 26-24 degrees.  Photos attached are 24 hours and just checked now after about 36 hours and no reaction on bubbling away reaction.

One other thing, the malt was about 3 years out of date!  I asked a mate who brews and he said it probably doesn't matter.  But now with nil reaction i'm not so sure.  I didn't check the other ingredients or enhancer either for date but from same box.

What you think? Just discard and start again a new brew or wait?

brew 2.jpg

brew 1.jpg

It would more likely be the yeast that's stuffed if it's 3 years out of date. The malt probably isn't in the best condition either but that won't stop it fermenting. 

Personally I'd tip it because even if it did get going, with yeast that old the outcome isn't likely to be very good. Buy some fresh ingredients and start again. Clean the fermenter with napisan or the like, and try to keep the temp around 20 degrees. It'll produce a better beer than fermenting in the mid 20s.

13 hours ago, Anthony999 said:

Hi Anthony

Welcome to the Forum and the rabbit-hole that is brewing. 

I agree with Otto that your yeast is probably cactus.  However, what you have in the fermenter looks okay.  I recently listened to a podcast where one of the head guys at Briess, who do extracts, commented that concentrates will last for years.  They do darken with time though.

If you were to buy a good yeast, say US-05 and pitch it in, all you have to lose if it fails is the cost of the yeast.  Maybe rehydrate the yeast in about 100mls of water that has been boiled but is cooled to around 30 degrees Celsius.  Give it a gentle swirl every 5 minutes for say 15 minutes and then pitch it.  Rehydrating gives you more viable yeast cells.

If it tastes shite in a week or two chuck it then.  Otherwise it might just turn out okay.

Cheers Shamus

The problem lies in the time it's been sitting there without any activity. This time allows other organisms to get in and multiply, potentially ruining it even if fresh yeast is pitched. 

If it was pitched with good yeast at mixing time, then I'd say there's a fair chance of it not turning out as well as it would with fresher extract, especially being pale extract, but at least infection would be pretty much a non issue.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 8:48 AM, Anthony999 said:

Welcome to the art of home brewing.

Old extract & yeast never a great combo. Presuming it is an Ale Extract, I would throw in a fresh yeast (US-05) and see what happens. 

Cheers

Otto is definitely right, there is a risk that some nasties have gotten in to the fermenter.  The fermenting process gives it some protection:  A layer of CO2 gas from the fermenting bubbles kind of keeps oxygen from easily getting in.  Plus the alcohol produced is a preservative.  I just thought for the cost of a packet of yeast, you might get a brew out of it.  I just could not throw away 23 litres of wort that might be stuffed.

You might have pitched it by now, but I worry about what yeast you have got from Woolworths.  On-line they just have bread yeast and something described as brewers yeast that sounds more like a healthfood you chuck in smoothies.  Not sure if that type of yeast is really for brewing, but I know nothing about it.

All the best with it.  Taste with caution if you do get it going.  If it smells and tastes okay you just might get a beer out of it.

Cheers Shamus

My point is that the protection is only really useful when healthy yeast is pitched at the beginning, not 2 or 3 days later. That's plenty of time for something to get in and build up enough to taint the beer. 

I left a hydrometer sample of wort from my brew day on the bar after I took the post boil reading, it was fermenting by itself the following day. They can be quick.

Hmmm OK.  Thanks for the comments.  It's been very helpful.

I pitched some bakers yeast and put it into the brew gave it a good mix.  I had already had some reaction there but mild.  Now have about 5mm foam head.  Smells ok when opened up.   I will give it a day or two and see what 'brews'! 🙂 

14 hours ago, Anthony999 said:

Smells ok when opened up.   I will give it a day or two and see what 'brews'! 🙂 

Should ferment as a yeast is a yeast albeit a different strain to beer yeast.

I did an old extract tin of Oz Pale Ale with a bread yeast once and it came out drinkable.

Nothing ventured.....

I think I just want to try and see if I can get something OK.  I don't know, must be my never give up attitude to see if I can get something.  It's certainly a learning curve.   

It's got some foam head now and fermenting so let me see how it is in a few days.

14 minutes ago, Simon 1525230220 said:

Hey Anthony 999,

I would not use bleach to sanitise your equipment. I did in my early days and found that I was getting several bad results, which have all stopped as soon as I cut out the bleach in favour of Star San.

Cheers

Simon

Great thanks.  Looks like a have to get more equipment!!

Yeah, I only use bleach if something hasn't been cleaned for a while or something. Soak, rinse thoroughly and allow to fully dry. Otherwise I clean with sodium percarbonate/nappy soakers, rinse then sanitise with starsan.

The issue with bleach comes from leaving excessive chlorine from it in the equipment which can lead to medicinal or band-aid like flavours in the beer. If it's rinsed and dried then the chlorine is gone, negating the risk.

Archived