Coopers Community

Half recipes

davids47

On 11/20/2018 at 3:39 PM, bennysbrew said:

With the popularity of the craft fermenter bringing new members to the forum I might chuck a few simple extracts recipes to fit it in the next day or two . Others feel free to do the same 

that would be awesome, thanks!

Hi guys,

I am a bit of a newbie here, and have been wondering what is the best way to store the unused contents of extract cans? I notice for example that the stock recipe for the approximation of Coopers Dark ale calls for 750g of a 1.5kg dark extract can.

I just stumbled across this thread, hope it’s okay to tack on another more or less related question.

Thanks,

S

On 11/22/2018 at 7:39 AM, porschemad911 said:

Cover with cling wrap and store in the fridge. I would boil it when using the rest just to be careful. 

Cheers, 

John 

I wouldn't boil it, otherwise the bitterness from the pre-hopping will increase and alter the end flavour you're probably after.

4 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

I wouldn't boil it, otherwise the bitterness from the pre-hopping will increase and alter the end flavour you're probably after.

Very, very slightly I would think. I'd at least stir it into boiling water then kill the heat to pasteurise.

Cheers, 

John 

On 11/20/2018 at 3:39 PM, bennysbrew said:

With the popularity of the craft fermenter bringing new members to the forum I might chuck a few simple extracts recipes to fit it in the next day or two . Others feel free to do the same 

Ok a couple of summer type ales I've chucked together , in the fashion of stone and wood I guess. Easy drinking , not to heavy, a slight step up from mega swill with a bit of hop character, easy intro to extract brewing.

Please note I'm no expert( only 40 odd brews) so there will be plenty of better beers to do than this, but a couple of simple ones without using tins for the craft fermenter.... These were created with left over stock. Could be tweaked with hop amounts, dry hopping, etc 

Gallarillo

500g wheat dry malt + 500g light dry malt

100g crystal steeped

Galaxy 10g (15m boil), galaxy 15g ( flameout)

Amarillo (5m boil)

9.5l

Yeast of your choice ( I had left over kit yeasts) 18-20 degrees

Similar again..... Citraxy

500g wheat dry malt+ 500g ldm

100g crystal steeped

Galaxy 10g (15m boil)

Citra (10g 5m boil) (15g flameout)

9.5l 

Kit yeast slurry 

Similar again ...galaxy wheat dry malt smash

1kg wheat dry malt

100g crystal steeped

Galaxy 7g (15min boil), 8g (10 min boil), 15g ( flameout)

9l

Kit yeast slurry ( yeast of choice) 

So there are three similar summer type ale , very simple recipes that make solid easy drinkers with a bit of hop character. These beers come out around the  low 4% region....

Obviously you can up the hops to your liking. I normally like more hop character, but thought I'd load the cupboards up with easy drinkers for the summer coming

1 hour ago, bennysbrew said:

Ok a couple of summer type ales I've chucked together , in the fashion of stone and wood I guess. Easy drinking , not to heavy, a slight step up from mega swill with a bit of hop character, easy intro to extract brewing.

Please note I'm no expert( only 40 odd brews) so there will be plenty of better beers to do than this, but a couple of simple ones without using tins for the craft fermenter.... These were created with left over stock. Could be tweaked with hop amounts, dry hopping, etc 

Gallarillo

500g wheat dry malt + 500g light dry malt

100g crystal steeped

Galaxy 10g (15m boil), galaxy 15g ( flameout)

Amarillo (5m boil)

9.5l

Yeast of your choice ( I had left over kit yeasts) 18-20 degrees

Similar again..... Citraxy

500g wheat dry malt+ 500g ldm

100g crystal steeped

Galaxy 10g (15m boil)

Citra (10g 5m boil) (15g flameout)

9.5l 

Kit yeast slurry 

Similar again ...galaxy wheat dry malt smash

1kg wheat dry malt

100g crystal steeped

Galaxy 7g (15min boil), 8g (10 min boil), 15g ( flameout)

9l

Kit yeast slurry ( yeast of choice) 

So there are three similar summer type ale , very simple recipes that make solid easy drinkers with a bit of hop character. These beers come out around the  low 4% region....

Obviously you can up the hops to your liking. I normally like more hop character, but thought I'd load the cupboards up with easy drinkers for the summer coming

First recipe Amarillo is 10g ( can't find the edit function? 

Archived