Coopers Community

Craft fermenter pineapple beer extract recipe?

Johno,

If you are following the pineapple IPA, cut out the long play can of liquid malt which is 1.3kg and add in 1.5kg of coopers malt extract. You will have to bitter it yourself. How bitter do you like beers? Then add between 300g and 400g of light dry malt to get to the 7.5% of the recipe provided by PB2. You could skip the dry malt if 7.5% is too heavy.

I would be using citra, vic secret and/or galaxy as flavour and aroma additions because they will help bring out the pineapple flavours and more.

You basically need to bitter the beer by going full extract and add your flavour and aroma. By going full extract you get to decide the flavours, Abv and pretty much everything, without knowing what you like in a beer it is hard to give an exact recipe. Also need to know what you have in supplies unless your willing to go buy what you need.

Cheers

Norris

19 hours ago, Norris! said:

Johno,

If you are following the pineapple IPA, cut out the long play can of liquid malt which is 1.3kg and add in 1.5kg of coopers malt extract. You will have to bitter it yourself. How bitter do you like beers? Then add between 300g and 400g of light dry malt to get to the 7.5% of the recipe provided by PB2. You could skip the dry malt if 7.5% is too heavy.

I would be using citra, vic secret and/or galaxy as flavour and aroma additions because they will help bring out the pineapple flavours and more.

You basically need to bitter the beer by going full extract and add your flavour and aroma. By going full extract you get to decide the flavours, Abv and pretty much everything, without knowing what you like in a beer it is hard to give an exact recipe. Also need to know what you have in supplies unless your willing to go buy what you need.

Cheers

Norris

Thanks mate. I don’t have any ingredients on hand but will buy what’s needed. 

I guess what I’m trying to accomplish is s beer similar to the commercial beer “matso mango” buy pineapple flavored instead of mango. 

I tried the Coopers Pineapple IPA

It came out alright, the pineapple flavour didn't really come across after the ferment, Obviously the yeast ate all the sugars so it lost ALOT of it's sweetness.

It came out very tart and bitter. It's drinkable and something different but  didn't come out as well as I hoped.

I was down at my local brewery Hairyman Brewing and he was saying pineapple is very hard to integrate in to a beer due to the complex sugars in it. For that reason he doesn't really bother trying to make pineapple beers. He said your best bet is to use Pineapple but match it with hops to get the sweet fruity flavour.

52 minutes ago, Ryano2 said:

pineapple is very hard to integrate in to a beer due to the complex sugars in it. For that reason he doesn't really bother trying to make pineapple beers.

Yep and this is the very reason why I don't bother with pineapple juice or most other fruit juices, for that matter.

Without using pineapple or pineapple juice, it is possible to broadly mimic similar flavours & aromas.

If using a hop I'd try dry hopping something like Vic Secret. It's also possible to produce some phenolics &/or esters that mimic certain fruits etc. as well. I have read that the Wyeast 3787 yeast strain can produce an ester that mimics pineapple.

I've fermented the Coopers commercial ale strain a little higher a number of times as it produces a lovely banana-like ester, & used a specific wheat beer strain to produce a clove-like character, so I know the claims made that certain yeast strains can throw different flavours & aromas is true.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived