Coopers Community

Grain Bag

John304

Don’t use a grain bag as such but do use nylon hop bags.

As they go into the boiling wort I just make sure they are clean before they go in.

I’d imagine it would be the same as BIAB grain bags?

I soak my hop bags in oxiclean and hot water overnight , rinse, dry and they’re ready for next use.

I use these same bags for dry hopping and they get a quick boil and starsan before the hops go in. 

Cheers

James

33 minutes ago, John304 said:

just wondering if everybody boils their grain  bag before  every use, or just make sure it's clean considering the wort is boiled for 60min anyway?

hey mate, 
yeah i just make sure they are cleaned out after use, no need to boil pre grains or anything because you're right. the wort is going to be boiled anyway, so alls good in the hood.

I use a grain bag when transferring from primary to secondary, just before bottling. I make sure it's clean, but boil it, then star San it just for extra precaution. I figure for the extra few minutes it takes, it's worth it rather than risk infection through an entire brew. I don't use hop socks any more because lack of cleaning caused them to spoil 2 or 3 brews, so I find this method using the grain bag to strain out hop matter works best for me.

If i use a bag for partials, i just turn out the bag give it a good rinse then chuck it in washing machine for a 15min quick wash with no detergent. Bag is clean always but every 3 or 4 uses i napisan it prior to the wash.

Archived