Coopers Community

Coopers DB

Big Gags

G'day - new to the forums and thought I would share this photo...

I grew up in Adelaide and my dad always had a beer fridge in the shed.  Now I can remember these cans of Coopers DB being in the door of the fridge back when I was about 12 years old or so and they have been in there ever since (I am now 47!!).  I think dad's on his 3rd beer fridge but he has always scored one for free or really cheap from somewhere and has replaced each one before they broke down and so these beers have been in a cold fridge for 35 years or more!!  He says he can't remember why he didn't drink them at the time but after a while he figured they would be no good but just left them in the door of the fridge (it's always been a big fridge and so plenty of room for other beers to fit in!!).

Funnily enough when I saw these again a few weeks ago for the first time in years it straight away brought back the Coopers DB jingle from the TV commercial - "You win some, you lose some, but take it from me, everyone's a winner with Coopers DB" - now that's definitely a catchy jingle if I can remember it over 30 years later!!

I'm assuming that they will not be any good but I'm wondering if they would be drinkable without making me too sick??  Guess it makes the Vintage Ale look somewhat young ?

Cheers,

Gags

Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 8.49.57 pm.png

• 1 month later...

Of course if they are unopened they couldn't be sold on eBay because you can't sell grog on eBay.  Even though it is undrinkable grog. 🙁

DB merchandise is quite common on eBay - labels, cans, ashtrays - but it falls into the cheap crap category and only brings a couple of bucks.   Obviously they were quite common in SA, popular even,  but virtually unheard of in Victoria.  

Our stock carbohydrate modified beer in Victoria was Dietale,  approved by the Victorian Diabetic Association and guaranteed to contain not more than 10 grams of carbohydrate per bottle and 10 calories per fluid ounce.  It was awful.  

carlton-dietale-pd-f.JPG

Got to love the 26 fluid ounce steel can though.  A couple of those would give you excellent elevation in the outer at the footy... and they bring a price on eBay.

Yeah and diabetes is still a curse. 

It was interesting to read some of the diabetic forums to get an idea of just how compromised sufferers are trying to cope with it.  It feel for them.  Many describe beer as 'liquid bread' and have just cut it from their diet altogether.  Others adopt other options that will deliver the alcohol without the carbs, some even recommend this -

beer_97104  

Berleigh Bighead.  Zero Carb full strength beer.  

Archived