Coopers Community

Magnetic Stir Plate

Beer Baron

So this yeast starter process is really pi$&ing me off. The attached video shows the maximum speed and I think it’s a bit slow. When I finally got the bloody stir bar the stick on the magnet I ramped the speed up ridiculously slow and it kept flicking the bar off. I finally had it going and recorded the video and as I am writing this message the bar got flicked off at that speed. What am I doing wrong??

Not sure if this will help but, I bought a set of different length stir bars of eBay and I found that if I use a bar that is too short it gets flicked off the stir bar magnet quick smart.

I should have said from the outset that my stir plate is home made using the rare earth magnet from an old computer hard drive. I found that if you bar is the same length as the magnet(s), the stir bar will stay put, if not it will flick off.

Beer baron have you emailed your supplier for some tips?  Perhaps you have a faulty stir plate / stir bar?  I bought mine from Kegland ($33) and using the stock stir bar in a 3L Erlenmeyer flask, also sourced from Kegland.  Only threw the stir bar once when I started it on full blast.

You are doing eveything right, so please reach out to your supplier.

9 minutes ago, joolbag said:

Beer baron have you emailed your supplier for some tips?  Perhaps you have a faulty stir plate / stir bar?  I bought mine from Kegland ($33) and using the stock stir bar in a 3L Erlenmeyer flask, also sourced from Kegland.  Only threw the stir bar once when I started it on full blast.

You are doing eveything right, so please reach out to your supplier.

I got all of my equipment from Kegland too. I’ll email them today and see what they say. 

This happens to me as well.

I have to find the sweet spot otherwise it will get flicked to the side.

A longer magnet sounds like it would make sense though..

Will have to look into this a bit more deeply.

Cheers for reminding me what a PITA this is!

James

Sounds like a stir bar being the wrong size for the magnet problem. 

I have a yeast forge and the bar never gets thrown off. The bar is about an inch long, maybe a tad shorter. When I took it apart trying to fix the heating function it looked like it had two magnets attached to two computer fan blades opposite each other under the plate itself, perhaps this means it holds the bar at each end. I don't know if that keeps it more stable or not but it works well.

Unfortunately the heating function couldn't be fixed and I have no time to send it back for repairs as I'm constantly brewing. Most of the time I don't need it though.

I made my own stir plate. Found it flicked as well depending on the size of the stir bar. After some research I wired up a variable voltage power source and consequently a variable speed for the fan. Works a treat now. Just got to pick the right voltage for the stir bar size. My small one gets flicked over 6v. The big one goes good up to the full 12v

IMG_20180816_164551.jpg

I will pull mine apart tonight. But i am still suspecting that either a magnet is missing or they have have both been stuck on with same polarity up. This essentially means the stir bar is only being held by 1 magnet and is being thrown off at increased speeds. 

This is the response I got back. 

The stir bar that comes with the machine is quite small and you might find that for larger batches you might want to use a large stir bar if you wanted to get more agitation especially for the large 3000L flasks.

With that said but the looks of the photo you have got a perfect level of agitation.  You dont need to make a huge vortex like we see many people do.  All you need to do is to agitate the product.

BB

Pulled mine apart last night. You should be able to drop the stir bar across the 2 magnets. If it does not allow you to do this. Then 1 of the magnets is upside down and you end up as in the second picture with the stir bar only held by one. 

20180817_195352.jpg

20180817_195435.jpg

Have been doing a bit of looking into this issue.

My stir plate is a BrewSci from Europe, and looked on the website and it says my model is good for stirring 2 litres.

My starters are usually 2.0 - 2.4L, (last one was 2.7L and it was a struggle with the smaller magnet)

Also noticed the base of my Erlenmeyer flasks are raised in the centre.

I did a test with 3L of water, one using the smaller magnet, then the larger magnet with the raised line in the middle of it.

They both worked but the thicker magnet seemed to work better but was noisier.

I tried it again so the magnet wasn’t sitting right on top of the  raised bottom / middle of the flask, (off centre) and both magnets seemed to work better, judging the dimple on top of the water.

I think I will get some bigger magnets before getting a new stir plate, and  make it so the flask is off centre when on the plate.

When I first got the stir plate I didn’t get so OCD about it being dead centre and don’t remember the the magnet getting flicked off as much.

Now I am using the 3L flask I have been trying to get it dead centre and have been getting issues.

If this doesn’t work I will try the KegLand stirrer, it’s meant to be good for 5L??

And reasonably priced as well.

Cheers

James

@Beer Baron Mate I watched your video over and over and compared it to my current starter. The whole of your wort is moving from the outside. If you can do me a favour and when you have time, do the same thing again but this time just drop the magnet on the plate (no flask). I just want to see how the bar spins. 

2 hours ago, Titan said:

@Beer Baron Mate I watched your video over and over and compared it to my current starter. The whole of your wort is moving from the outside. If you can do me a favour and when you have time, do the same thing again but this time just drop the magnet on the plate (no flask). I just want to see how the bar spins. 

I’ll have a go tomorrow. Thanks

Made another starter today and put the smaller/smooth magnet in the flask - off centre, and it started spinning but within 10 minutes got flicked off.

Have puy the bigger magnet in now and it is spinning well,but is noisy like a small bell ringing.

Will get some bigger smooth type magnets off eBay I think.

Hope bell sound doesn’t keep the kids awake tonight!

Cheers

James

The smaller of my 2 stir bars is 25mm x 6mm.

The one with the pivot ring 25mm x 8mm.

The pivot ring has kept stirring all night so it looks like the bigger magnets are the go.

Have ordered a pack of 7 off eBay last night for about $8, sized from 15mm x 6mm up to 40mm x 8mm

They are the smooth ones with no pivot ring.

Hopefully that’s the end of the bar getting flicked off, it had been giving me a headache for a while now!

Cheers

James

Archived