Coopers Community

Please critique my first Brew recipe

Guvna

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually cold crash for 5 days. Which I dry hop just before I turn the temp down, which is usually around 100g or so.

Recently froze a batch so ended up cold crashing for 18 days. I have actually seen no difference in 5 day cold crash to 18 for clarity. Well no significantly anyway. Just so you know.

Captain

thanks all,  got a plan in mind based on you guys feedback,  (much respect after reading many of the posts on this forum).

will no doubt ask more questions along the way.  cheers and regards!

ps' might be hijacking my own thread,  but, if anyone needs advice on any kinda paint (profession), or guitars (hobby), happy to share.

thanks

Guvna

7 minutes ago, Guvna said:

ps' might be hijacking my own thread,  but, if anyone needs advice on any kinda paint (profession), or guitars (hobby), happy to share.

I am thinking of painting a guitar in the near future so I may reach out to you.

no probs Hairy, dont know everything, but been in the paint industry for 30 years, currently working as a technician in a lab, and have painted 2 guitars this year (Nitro Laquer) and also built and painted lapsteels from scratch.  ask away anytime

On 7/24/2018 at 6:01 PM, Guvna said:

When i do get a second FV, prolly just fill that with more beer ?.  I say i need more stuff, missus says no..

Hi Guvna
Tell the missus: Each pint of beer in the pub is $10 plus the $100 you'll drop on the pokies or horses while you're there. A pint of home brew is about 50 cents and keeps you at home. Buying more brew gear is sound economics.  ?

Hey Muzz, I'm hearing you, always testing the missus by changing it up, beer making is only the current desire, previously tried conditioning the mrs with motorbikes/guitars/boats/etc mostly with good results, but still pays to be cautious.   lol 

Guv

hi again and fridee night cheers to all.

measued gravity today at 1018 - 1019 ish, thats after 13 days now, so i added the Galaxy dry hops and now start waiting 'again' . will do another gravity check in next 2 days see whats goin on.

given i noticed bubbling was good for 5-6 days and seemed to have stopped, now at 13 days  i would've expected a lower gravity than 1019?? 

advice ?

regards

Guvna

1 hour ago, Guvna said:

is it pssible to test my hydrometer with water only?

The vast majority of hydrometers are calibrated to read 1.000 in 20°C water. Check your hydrometer against this. If the hydrometer is out slightly just take note of exactly how far out it is & make that same allowance when testing it with your beer. Make sure your samples are fully de-gassed for the hydrometer to read accurately.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I warmed the FV up to 21c and its slowly bubling again? did it go to sleep. is this good or bad? Have i maybe saved it? Should i raise a bit more?

more beginners questions to come lol

Guvna

It should say on the hydrometer what temperature it's calibrated to. Most in Australia are 20°C though. 

You can certainly let the sample sit until the foam subsides. Also gas bubbles in the sample can lift the hydrometer giving a false high reading. Pump it up and down a few times and spin it around like a top in the sample to get rid of the gas, then let it sit until the foam subsides, give it another spin and it should read pretty easily and accurately.

So 48hrs have past , gravity is same at 1.019. My hydrometer appears to be a point or 2 out making it 1.017 at best. Still seeing a little bubbling after warming up couple of days ago to 21.5. What now? beersmith estimated 1.011, still confused at this point
Guvna

Bummer Guvna. I feel your pain. It does sound high. I have had a few that don't seem to budge.

I'd try Otto's advice and gently rouse the yeast and see how you fair. That has worked for me in the past.

You could also try a forced fermentation test if you want. Take a sample, pitch a heap of yeast (even bread yeast will work), put it somewhere warmish, wait a day or two and recheck the gravity.

The big pitch of yeast and the warm temp should help the sample ferment out - if it's going to. You can get an idea of what the final gravity could/should be. If the sample drops, then the main batch still has some fermenting to do. If not, for whatever reason, it might be done.

If it doesn't drop and you're bottle conditioning, I would err on the side of caution with your priming rate just in case.

Good luck!

That's why I take samples around 3-4 days in and then leave them sit somewhere warmer until the hydrometer stops dropping. It's basically a crude version of a fast ferment test and gives me a rough idea of what the FG will be, although most times it's not very rough at all - pretty much bang on. 

Ah - that's good to know. I've actually started doing this recently myself but have wondered about the accuracy. It can be a bit hard to read accurately with the krausen scum so I end up tipping it and taking a new sample. I usually leave it on the sink where it pisses the missus off too haha. I've got a 2nd hydrometer so will try and see it through with the current sample.

• 3 weeks later...

Poured my 1st Homebrew from the keg ?

Been carbing away at 10psi - 3c for 7 dyas only and I couldnt wait any longer.  Lovely golden colour and clean looking beer. Unsurprisingy not carbed enough for my liking which I kinda expected so hopefully by next week more bubbly, bumped it up to 12psi to be sure.  Poured nicely when Lowered to 8psi, nice head, lacing on the sides of glass.

Must admit whilst the taste was pleasing and unlike the twangy homebrews ive tasted many years ago, it was a touch sweet for me possibly needing more biterness.  Definately good enough not to be wasted and happy for my first attempt.

Guvna

Archived