Coopers Community

What hop is that

PXR-5

Hi to all you hop experts.

Just came back from the local club after trying one of the new Carlton pale ales. Really nice flavour. With my limited experience of hop flavours, I can't identify it. Can anyone help?

What hop is it??? It was fantastic!

John

I tried one on tap at a pub last week... I thought it was Nelson! so I guess I was wrong

It wasn't my fav to be honest... most aussie summer ales on the market are almost tippers for me, I don't even like stone and wood pacific ale, to me its way under hopped in bittering as most of them

Gateway beer maybe ?

i wasn't overly impressed by it but not an offensive beer in any sense , maybe do ok for a BBQ where you could share it around to mega swill drinkers .

i was at a venue last night chatting to a lovely elderly gent who had only just discovered how good beer could taste .

For those of us in Radelaide i'd suggest a trip to Semaphore to visit Westside Massive , co-lab between Big Shed and Little Bang , maybe wander down to Sweet Amber beer cafe for great beers , friendly people and delicious pizzas

• 2 months later...
Hops in a CUB beer?

Actually, Aussie beers are known for fairly high bittering rates compared to most "sugar beers" around the world. I had a VB a while ago whilst travelling - the bar had run out of anything drinkable, pretty much that or american swill. While lacking in body, the flavour of the POR brought back memories of youth - basically pre-brewing days...

When I was in America in 2009 I noticed that their megalagers tasted a fair bit sweeter than the Australian ones did. However, having since moved on to the hoppy pale ale styles and other more flavourful styles I find Australian lagers taste quite sweet. I had a VB at some point in the last year and it tasted like sugar water to me.

...the new Carlton pale ales...
Hops in a CUB beer?

Rumor has it an employee accidentally kicked over a bucket of liquid hops into one of their wortstreams. In the pursuant hysteria & panic that immediately followed' date=' the entire plant went into lock down mode.

Breathing apparatus were quickly dispensed to all employees through a fear of what one director later described as a possible "vapor storm" that might erupt by that much hop oil coming in contact with a gigaliter of one of their beers.

Once the "overwhelming aromatic blast" (as many at CUB called it) subsided a discussion began about what could be done with the resultant beer. Numerous ideas were bandied around in the halls of CUB over the following days, until one low level employee piped up & said, "We could try & sell it?". After much ridicule & laughter by fellow employees & directors, it was agreed they would try.

The rest is history. [img']biggrin[/img]

Well that's how I heard it. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

• 1 month later...

Danged Hipsters! The whole reason CUB produced a "craft style" beer was for you, and you complain about it.

The whole reason breweries like that have such a market share is producing what people want. Traditionally people wanted a thin mostly just bittered beer that was easy to drink in large quantities and the POR produced just that, though it is fairly useless as an aroma hop. Now beardos like you want to wax lyrical about how hip they are in their appreciation of craft beers, so they made one to suit.

I like to have a VB every year or two as I like the POR flavour and the memories it brings back. In China I will drink Tsing Tao in preference over coke or water! But while very low on hop flavour, I think Tsing Tao is pretty trendy at the moment so you would probably like it.

Archived