Coopers Community

SodaStream launches beer kit

Beers Gone Wild

Theres an idea i hadnt considered. If i cant wait for my beer to carbonate up due to the cold weather. Can i pour it in a soda stream and carb it up that way. Surely thats just force carbing on a small scale

Theres an idea i hadnt considered. If i cant wait for my beer to carbonate up due to the cold weather. Can i pour it in a soda stream and carb it up that way. Surely thats just force carbing on a small scale

Only if you agree to video the procedure and upload to youtube.

I suspect you may have to bleep out some of the audio.

Have always considered the idea of a sodastream unit to carb my beer. But when I saw the price of the unit and gas tubes I decided against it.

My sister has a unit and I was waiting for her to get tired of it and off-load at next to nothing. Hasn't happened yet - but I live in hope.

There are so many new little home brewery Quick & easy units coming onto the market of late it scary. And some of them are quite expensive. It seems that the makers of these machines loose sight of the beauty and enjoyment that comes from actually making the beer (I don't want a unit that does everything for me - I want to make it myself).

But that's me.

Cheers, Pete

Have always considered the idea of a sodastream unit to carb my beer. But when I saw the price of the unit and gas tubes I decided against it.

My sister has a unit and I was waiting for her to get tired of it and off-load at next to nothing. Hasn't happened yet - but I live in hope.

There are so many new little home brewery Quick & easy units coming onto the market of late it scary. And some of them are quite expensive. It seems that the makers of these machines loose sight of the beauty and enjoyment that comes from actually making the beer (I don't want a unit that does everything for me - I want to make it myself).

But that's me.

Cheers' date=' Pete[/quote']

I'ts not just you Pete, as evidenced by the thread on WilliamsWarn.

Those high end brew setups are really aimed at people with too much money, that want to show off that they "made their own beer" when really all they've done is put pre-made ingredients into a machine that does the work.

To my mind it's the way wealthy people do their own version of FWK brewing.

Real home brewing involves choosing your own ingredients (whether K&K (though some argue about whether K&K is really brewing or not), kits & bits, extract, partial or all grain brewing), doing all the work & really participating in the process, including aiming at a particular style or doctoring up an existing recipe.

To my mind, making up a brew using a machine or fresh wort kit, & calling yourself a home brewer is akin to cooking up 2 minute noodles & saying you're a chef.

Yeah I'd have to agree, things like this aren't making beer at all. All they're doing is mixing a concentrate with carbonated water. You might as well just go to the bottle shop and buy beer. People may argue that straight kit and kilo isn't really brewing either, and I'd tend to agree, but at least you still have to do the fermentation and bottling or whatever.

But yeah for me the best part about brewing at home aside from drinking the results, is doing the whole process to get the beer in the first place. I love brew weekends! biggrin

I still maintain it's vapourware though.

If it is a real product, it would only be legal to sell the consumables at a bottle shop or the like, as the extract you mix with water is 4.5% A/V.

Even then if this was a real product the intention would be for that 4.5% to be watered down (pun intended) to 1.5%.

I'd say Sodastream have achieved their objective, they have people talking about a fictitious product with their brand name on it.

If they were fair dinkum, they'd be more specific than saying they're planning to release the product maybe later this year or some time next year.

Just had a look at the online store from O/S, selling online 1 litre bottles only with the option of a "gift pack" so you can put your "beer" into a nice beer bottle.

I still reckon it's vapourware; AKA publicity stunt, & the fact I even bothered to look it up means it's working.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, & walks like a duck, it's probably at least a mallard.

• 2 years later...

Archived