Coopers Community

Victorian brewers make beer from belly button fluff!!

Beers Gone Wild

WTF!!! Yes it is true.... and yes it had to be Victorians..

"A group of Victorian brewers have come up with a navel way of making beer, growing a yeast strain from their own belly button fluff and savouring the results."

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2016/04/28/12/55/buttons-up-victorian-brewers-make-beer-from-belly-button-fluff

Sounds like Rogue's Beard Beer, which was fermented with yeast harvested from the head brewer's own beard.

I bought some last year, it tasted similar to my SNPA clone that I fermented with wild yeast I caught in the laundry (only a couple of bottles worth, not the whole batch). Sort of like a pale ale but the yeasty flavour dominated it.

Crazy! It seems all of these weird yeast sources (belly button' date=' beard, vagina) result in Belgian-ish POF (= phenol off flavour) positive yeast strains, doesn't it? They must be more common than POF negative strains.[/quote']

I'd imagine most clean-tasting yeasts we get are the product of decades, centuries, even millenia of selection pressure by brewers looking to improve their beer, and probably don't even exist in the wild... Like looking for a wild Corgi in the Yukon.

WTF!!!???

Had to read this to believe it - and I Live in Victoria!!

While I salute the craft brewing community for always pushing the boundaries and trying new things ....perhaps their comes a time where you have to admit you've gone as far as you can and now its just getting weird! ( bit like the US political system!) crying

I mean Kelsey...really?...Yeast from beards?.....and your laundry? tongue I know I know.....Yeast grows in strange places, but I guess I just like to delude myself that is a nice little thing that pops out of a hygienic packet and jumps into my wort to gently convert it into lovely beer....yummmm.

I'm betting alcoholic based liquids are not the only brain impairing substances these idiots-come-brewers consume. rolleyes

Disgusting! sick

How anyone can be drawn to something like this just boggles the mind. I liken this to watching an episode of the Kardashian's. A complete & utter waste of time! sleeping

Another possible real-life scenario...

Low Brain Functioning Individual: Hey, here's an idea.....perhaps I'll fart in my beer before I cap it, that might make it more interesting?!

Beerlust: Get a grip you dumb@$$! OR since you appear open to suggestions, I can offer one that would do us all a favour involving another "cap" of sorts you can use on yourself!

I swear if the collective intelligence of every current individual on the planet could be measured & averaged out, the world would arguably be in one of the lowest intelligence slumps in its history! rightful

Seeing as how Victoria seems to be leading the charge of the Australian states, I thought maybe a new state welcoming sign placed at each of the border entrances into Victoria might be appropriate.

VictoriaState.jpg

It's OK to be dumb, but to be dumb & have influence is just plain dangerous! rightful

Sorry, the post got a lot longer than I initially intended. But once I got started... whistling

Lusty.

lol That "laundry yeast" wasn't really a deliberate thing at first. I simply left a hydrometer test jar of wort sitting above the tubs due to laziness or forgetfulness, or both, and a few days later it was fermenting by itself, complete with a little krausen and everything. At that point I decided I'd let it go, then harvest the yeast in the bottom and grow it up to ferment a couple of litres of spare wort from the SNPA clone batch.

It was certainly an interesting comparison. The wild version was lighter in colour, cloudier, more bitter, and the yeasty flavour was more evident. I wouldn't do it again, but it was a fun little experiment. At the end of the day, all the yeasts we use in our brews were obtained in similar ways, the difference is of course that they have been cultured up in a lab and largely tailored to produce the results that they do. cool

Cheers

Kelsey

Archived