Coopers Community

100% Oat Malt beer

Hi All,

I'm planning on doing another 100% All Grain Oat Malt beer. Just wondering if anyone has tried it before and had any luck.

My last attempt had my mash at 69 - 74C for approx 2 hrs (1.5kg in 8l water), and my ABV after fermentation was only 2% (using Lager Yeast). I dunno what I have done wrong, all my calcs have shown at 70% eff I should have had 4.5%.

Anyway, if anyone has a nice recipe, I'd love to try it.

Cheers

Nate

Hi All' date='

I'm planning on doing another 100% All Grain Oat Malt beer. Just wondering if anyone has tried it before and had any luck.

My last attempt had my mash at 69 - 74C for approx 2 hrs (1.5kg in 8l water), and my ABV after fermentation was only 2% (using Lager Yeast). I dunno what I have done wrong, all my calcs have shown at 70% eff I should have had 4.5%.

Anyway, if anyone has a nice recipe, I'd love to try it.

Cheers

Nate[/quote']

I have never used 100% malted oats before; how was the mash and the sparge? Was it just a big pot of porridge at the end?

What was your OG? Efficiency is about achieving a certain OG. The ABV is then based on the fermentation and given you mashed at those temps, your wort wouldn't be highly fermentable.

If you are planning on doing it again then try mashing at 66C.

What was your recipe?

What is the brand of malt you have?

I get the feeling that malted oats may not have much diastic power and therefore may need some other source of enzymes to convert the start to fermentable sugars.

I have never used 100% malted oats before; how was the mash and the sparge? Was it just a big pot of porridge at the end?

What was your OG? Efficiency is about achieving a certain OG. The ABV is then based on the fermentation and given you mashed at those temps, your wort wouldn't be highly fermentable.

If you are planning on doing it again then try mashing at 66C.

What was your recipe?

Hi Hairy...

The mash was ok - not as sweet as a barley or wheat mash; and the sparge was fine. No stuck grain at all, and no porridge. I used Thomas Fawcett Oat Malt from Barley man that still has most of the husks on. I was thinking that the grain needed to be crushed more...

My OG was 1.022, and FG was 1.005.

Thanks for the advice at mashing at 66C, will try that.

Recipe was as below:

1.5kg Oat Malt

8l water

·         Combine 8 litres of 48°C water (strike temp) and the malt in your grain bag inside urn.

·         Rest at 45°C for 20mins.

·         Raise Mash to 62C and rest for 30 min.

·         Raise Mash to 72C and rest for 30 min.

·         Raise Mash to 76C for Mash Out

·         Sparge with 2 litres of 78-80°C water and then 76C wort for 10 minutes and return wort to urn for 60 min boil, making a final boil volume of 8.5 litres.

Hops

Hallatau - 5g - 60 min

Galaxy - 5g - 20 min

Hallatau - 5g - 10 min

Whirlfloc - 1/2 tab - 10 min

Galaxy - 5g - 0 min

Lager Yeast added when wort is 16C

Finishing Hops

Galaxy - 5g - 2 days into fermentation

Bottled into stubbies with 1 carb drop.

It is a nice drop, just wish it was a bit stronger... At least The Boss (wife) likes it!!!

Cheers

That is a different mash schedule to the one you referenced in your first post. This schedule seems fine.

I'm not sure of the yield of malted oats but it looks like you just need to use more oats or reduce the volume of beer.

From the chart I looked at, malted oats have no diastatic power at all. This means that all you'd end up with is a big cloudy, hazy, starchy liquid if not used in conjunction with a base malt for conversion of those starches. Add to that, you'd need a heap of rice hulls to avoid a stuck mash to be able to extract some liquid away from the thick porridge mashing this grain would produce.

If you use 100% of this grain only, what is it you expect to be able to ferment? Yeast need fermentable sugars to convert into alcohol, not starch. rightful

Cheers,

Lusty.

I have always been led to believe if a grain has no diastatic power, it has no ability to convert starch.

Maybe the fact the oats are malted in this case leaves them with some amount of 'instant' sugar present (like a specialty grain) that is released into the wort? unsure Therefore no conversion as such is necessary.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I reckon a beer made only from malted oats would taste pretty bad. Read about a brew someone tried to back this up. I have recently bought some from barleyman for some porters and stouts. The grain is fine so will need a special fine milling, I will adjust my mill and mill the oats separately I think.

Found this reply from Fawcetts online:

This is Fawcetts reply to someones email.

"Oat malt laboratory worts are normally slightly hazy rather

than clear. Oats are not normally low in protein and are quite

difficult to modify from a protein viewpoint, which could well

explain this. Our current stock gives values of 11.8 % total protein

with an index of modification of 27.8%.

As far as mash schedules are concerned we would suggest you

ensure temperatures are between 63 degrees C and 68 degrees C during

mashing in with a one hour minimum stand after mashing in a grist

composed of 50% oat malt and 50% lager malt.

You should aim at a liquor/grist ratio of between 2.5:1 and 3:1.

Oat malt needs very close mill settings to achieve an

acceptable grist. For normal malts our standard mill setting is 62

thou top and 58 thou bottom- for oat malt we drastically reduce these

settings to 48 thou top and 42 thou bottom. Certainly a point to

watch to produce an optimal grist for mashing."

Hi All...

Headmaster - it tastes pretty good, although it is a light... More of a hoppy - summer ale taste than anything else... At least it doesn't taste like dirty water!!!

The wife reckons it needs some more passionfruit flavour... It is an easy drinking beer that you can throw back

When I get back onshore, I will try a mix with 1kg Thomas Fawcett Oats and 500g of Naked Crystal Oats and see what happens... And also add more Galaxy at the back end of the boil to attempt to get the passionfriut!!!

Archived