Coopers Community

Looking for some inspiration

G'day brewers.

I have put down 11 brews since September last year when i first started brewing, all Ales (Scotties Styx River the best so far) and one Stout (sitting deep in the cupboard to age)

I am looking to branch out from the Ale scene and would like some advice as i have invested in a brewing fridge and thermostat.

The last few brews i have made have been Coopers Extract Cans added with specialty grains and hops. As i live in remote Western Australia it is not viable for me to ship enough grains to do full extract brews which is why i am using cans and adding grains and hops.

The ROTM which is the Capital Pils looks fantastic, but too high in alcohol content for me, so essentially i am looking to do something similar and i'm asking if anyone has any nice extract + grains + hops recipes for something other than Ales?

Ideally i would like to use about .2kg-1.5kg of grains per recipe and something that is crisp, fruity and refreshing for the 40 degree heat up here. I am able to buy any hops and yeasts online.

Cheers.

Dingo.

Hi Dingo. Congratulations on the brew fridge! Sounds like you are interested in branching out into lager brewing now, although because you have to rely on the postal service in 40C weather, you probably need to stick to dry yeasts. Fermentis W-34/70 gets good reviews. Be sure to read Brulosopher's fast lager method:

http://brulosophy.com/methods/lager-method/

With lagers you need higher pitching rates, so you might need to use two packages of dry yeast, or use one and make a starter.

I don't have a brew fridge so I tend to stick to ales, or ale-lager yeast blends, like the one that comes with the APA and Mexican Cervesa kits. They turn out quite nice if you use two packs of kit yeast, rehydrate it, and ferment at 18C. If you would like something cleaner, maybe replace the kit yeast with W-34/70. I quite like the Mexican Cervesa kit for summer drinking. You can hop with with Tettnanger; in another thread Kelsey recently suggested Moteuka as another possibility. If you like IPAs, the APA kit can be a great base. There are many hop possibilities, about which some of the hopheads on the forum can better advise you. In Australian you can get a whole bunch of wonderful sounding hops that never see the light of day where I live...If you haven't tried it before though, you should try Cascade. It is a classic and makes a very refreshing, citrus-y beer.

A lot of American IPA brewers will throw a bit (maybe 4%) of Munich malt in to balance the bitterness.

Cheers.

Christina.

As i live in remote Western Australia it is not viable for me to ship enough grains to do full extract brews which is why i am using cans and adding grains and hops.

I think you mean all grain brews' date=' not full extract. The cans you're using are extract. [img']cool[/img]

If you're looking to do a pils style beer, you'll need some pils malt, preferably the extract as well as the grains for a more authentic flavour. Briess make a pils extract but whether you can get it or not I'm not sure. I'm just thinking out loud here but for the fermentables you could go something like

1.5kg Briess pils can extract (or Coopers light if you can't get it)

500g LDM

1.5kg Pilsner malt grains (mash these at 64-65C for 60-90 minutes)

I don't have much experience brewing pilsners that come out fruity (I'm guessing you mean similar to an APA or something?), I prefer the more traditional flavours that you get from the Saaz hops etc. so unsure what hopping schedule would work for that. How big a boil (litres) are you able to do?

Yeast, you could either go W34/70 or Mangrove Jacks M84 Bohemian Lager yeast. I'd be either rehydrating and pitching two packets, or using one pack and building a starter to get the cell count up. Depending on where you buy the yeast, you could go a liquid strain, a fair number of places ship them in ice pack type things to keep them cold over the journey to your door.

I use the fast lager method that Christina linked to and for me it works really well. They come out just as good as they did when I did the old long drawn out method. But, I'd encourage you to experiment with both methods and see which you prefer.

Cheers

Kelsey

If you want to make it a little fruity then add some hops and make a "New World" lager or pils.

Perhaps a hop tea would be enough, you wouldn't want to go over the top. You could try Nelson Sauvin (if you like that hop) or some Motueka might be nice.

If you are making a partial mash and boiling the wort then you could toss the hops in at flame out.

Great. Thanks for all the ideas.

I will be able to manage that lager method so thanks for that, Christina.

I am really keen to put down a Cervesa next so i will have to start looking for recipes unless anyone can point me in the direction of some?

I'll definitely get my hands on some Saaz hops, Kelsey. It will be good to get to know the flavor.

Does anyone have any ideas for a nice hoppy dark ale?

Cheers,

Dingo.

Hi again Dingo. If you are looking for inspiration on the subject of lagers, this site may be of interest to you:

http://www.freewebs.com/kenlenard/recipes.htm

Many of the recipes could easily be adapted to partials.

I have emailed him and he kindly wrote back. He really likes 2124 for Cervesa, which W-34/70 is the dry version of. He suggests using soft water (like distilled or reverse osmosis), DME instead of LME, and a bit of brewer's corn syrup or honey. He also recommends doing a full wort boil (that is if you get away from using Coopers kits; you don't want to boil a Coopers kit).

The Pilsner kit is another that is best made with soft water.

Archived