Coopers Community

Kirin, yuk!

DylanL7

Why does a beer labelled as a pale ale have to be in the style of a hoppy American pale ale?

Coopers Pale Ale isn't hoppy. And if you drink it at the cold temps that most pubs serve it at then it isn't very estery either. It is still a half decent drop.

That maybe came across a bit one-sided' date=' I'm not saying it has to be like a hoppy American style pale, the English ones are good too, but both of these are flavourful and/or aromatic as well. I agree that Coopers pale ale isn't all that hoppy but it is flavourful, just personally not a flavour I enjoy all that much compared to other pale ales (too much yeast influence for mine). S&W Pacific isn't all that hoppy either but it still has flavour and aroma, which to me is quite pleasing, though not for everyone of course.

I suppose what I was getting at is that when I see something labelled "Pale Ale", I don't expect bland, nondescript beer, which is what Darling was to me. [/quote']

I had the same experience with Darling

Why does a beer labelled as a pale ale have to be in the style of a hoppy American pale ale?

Coopers Pale Ale isn't hoppy. And if you drink it at the cold temps that most pubs serve it at then it isn't very estery either. It is still a half decent drop.

That maybe came across a bit one-sided' date=' I'm not saying it has to be like a hoppy American style pale, the English ones are good too, but both of these are flavourful and/or aromatic as well. I agree that Coopers pale ale isn't all that hoppy but it is flavourful, just personally not a flavour I enjoy all that much compared to other pale ales (too much yeast influence for mine). S&W Pacific isn't all that hoppy either but it still has flavour and aroma, which to me is quite pleasing, though not for everyone of course.

I suppose what I was getting at is that when I see something labelled "Pale Ale", I don't expect bland, nondescript beer, which is what Darling was to me. [/quote']

I'm not saying you have to like it; I prefer American and English pale ales myself. But I don't understand why people get upset when a large brewery makes a beer that is pale and is an ale and they call it a pale ale. It makes sense to me.

I also have a mate obsessed with the mystic East, he has spent a lot of time in Japan and married to a Japanese lady. I used to be dragged along to many Japanese restaurants in the 90's with him and other mates and sampled Sapporo, Kirin and Asahi back then. It was pretty damn good from memory, although I was comparing it to New and Melbourne Bitter at the time. But I do think these used to be a lot better when imported from Japan.

Talking about beer predjudices, I thought witbier's weren't my thing, until recently after brewing a hoegaaaaarden white clone. After sitting down and actually appreciating the clove esters, body, fluffy white head and unusual mix of flavours generally, I am now a fan, and planning my next Wit!

The bonus about them is they use very little hops, and the wheat can be very cheap if you get it from the right place, so if you re-use the yeast you can make an AG batch for $12 or so.

Yes, well, technically it is a pale ale. It's just a really crap example of it. I guess the issue is that they are marketing it as something "craft" like, when it's nothing like that at all.

I applaud you Headmaster, that is one style of beer that I have never been able to enjoy, and can't see it happening either. I've tried a few of them but yeah, not my style. lol

Mind you, I don't like beers where the flavour is mainly driven by the yeast.

• 10 months later...
Eb is definitely the worst beer ever made ! Razor blades

You mean rusty razor blades.

Do they still make Swan? That and Southwark would have to be the two worst Australian beers I've tasted.

As for imported beers,Tun and Rivet have set the bar to a new low. (I know Rivet is made in Vietnam and sold by Aldi not too sure where Tun comes from)

They should be ashamed of themselves.

When I was a teenage lad sneaking into pubs under-age to catch metal gigs, there was a beer called Geelong Bitter...

...20 years later it still makes me shudder.

Worst.

Beer.

Ever.

When I was a teenage lad sneaking into pubs under-age to catch metal gigs' date=' there was a beer called Geelong Bitter...

...20 years later it still makes me shudder.

Worst.

Beer.

Ever.[/quote']

Hey, ease up. I'm from Geelong!

(Not responsible for the beer though)

Geelong brewing now has serious competition with Lion opening a little creatures here.

Hi gag, far as I know swan is still going as I saw swan draught in the bottle shop the other day even tho I don't drink swan, years ago my Ol man used to drink swan gold which wasn't too bad but they don't make it any more before that it was emu export haha

Archived