Coopers Community

Strange Ingredients

antiphile

I've heard quite a few odd ingredients put into beer (and some of them here). Here's a few more:

(1) Chicken carcass

Big Red (Cock Ale), Bacchus Brewing Co.

ABV: 6.1%, Style: Scottish ale

A Scottish recipe from the 1500s that involves brewing with a chicken carcass.

(2) Human saliva

Chicha, Dogfish Head Brewery

ABV: 5.7%, Style: Chicha

Based on the native corn beer of Central and South America, this beer is made using authentic ingredients like organic pink Peruvian pepper corns, yellow maize, Peruvian purple maize chewed by the chicha-maker. In other words, this beer contains human saliva.

(3) Lobster

Choc Lobster, Dogfish Head Brewery

ABV: 5.6%, Style: American porter

That name isn’t just for pun’s sake. This beer has been brewed with live lobsters and dark cocoa powder.

(4) Caviar

Throbbing Biological Urges, Moon Dog Brewery

ABV 9%, Style: English barleywine

Doesn’t the name say it all?

(5) A man’s beard

Beard Beer, Rogue Ales

ABV: 5.6%, Style: Belgian ale

Probably the most hipster beer available, Beard Beer is brewed with a yeast created from Rogue brewmaster John Maier’s very own beard.

(6) Cannabis/Hemp

Cannabia, Kronenbrauerei Wahl

ABV 4.9%, Style: German Pilsener

Cannabia is partially brewed as a traditional organic Pilsner, but then in the second step a “secret special organic hemp, source water and organic sugar blend is added before fermentation has ended”.

(7) Oyster

HenHouse Oyster Stout, HenHouse Brewing Company

ABV: 4.95% Style: dry stout

Brewed with Pacific coast oysters.

(8) Meteorite dust

Celest-jewel-ale, Dogfish Head Brewery

ABV: 5%, Style: German ale

Celest-jewel-ale is made with lunar meteorites that have been crushed into dust, then steeped like tea in a rich, malty Oktoberfest.

(9) Coffee sourced from elephant poo

Un, Kono Kuro, Sankt Gallen Brewery

ABV: 6.5%, Style: stout

Yes this beer is really made using coffee beans that have passed through an elephant. Japanese brewery Sankt Gallen calls the beer a chocolate stout, despite it not containing any chocolate.

(10) Bull testicles

Wynkoop Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout, Wynkoop Brewing Company

ABV: 7.5%, Style: stout

A meaty foreign-style stout, Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout is made with Colorado base malts, roasted barley, seven specialty malts, Styrian Goldings hops and 25 pounds of freshly sliced and roasted bull testicles. No bull.

Source: http://www.beerandbrewer.com/top-10-weirdest-ingredients/

(3) Lobster

Choc Lobster' date=' Dogfish Head Brewery

That name isn’t just for pun’s sake. This beer has been brewed with live lobsters and dark cocoa powder.

So does it have Lobster crap in it too? unsure

(3) Lobster

Choc Lobster' date=' Dogfish Head Brewery

So does it have Lobster crap in it too? unsure

Lobster was so happy it shit.

Thanks for putting this up Anti,

You inspired me to try something out of the ordinary and in my search came across quite a special beer it's a collaboration with Murray's and Crafty Pint from 2013.

Its the Auld Bulgin' Boysterous Bicep Australia's first Smoked Belgio Imperial Mussel and Oyster Stout produced originally for NZ's Beervana festival beer challenge which won its class with a perfect score it actually contains Port Stephens Oysters, blue and green lipped mussels, with peated distilling malt and Belgian yeast sourced for a Tappist monastery.

Now how's this, I found it in a bargain bin at a bottlo in Broadmedow it was a month out of date but I knew it would be the type that would appreciate the aging and it is definitely the best Stout I've had.

It actually smells and tastes of the ocean and has the deepest smokey flavour with a bit of chocolate and seaweed. It is BLOODY BRILLIANT!!!

Cheers

G'day BW. I honestly didn't think it was possible, but your pic is actually getting uglier!

Yet I digress. I'm really hoping you aren't ever going to offer me a taste of this. I can't even bring myself to eat oysters, let alone oyster beer. sick

I do, however, have quite a few ESBs that you'll like (even though you're going to bitch and whinge about it not having enough bitterness 'cos it's under 100 IBU). The Tim Taylor Landlord turned out a real treat, and the Vienna Lager is exactly what I was aiming for. There's another 150 litres of various ones waiting to be bottled when I get back in a fortnight, so once the jobs are out of the way I'll try to tempt you; just promise me you'll wear the provided paper bags.

G'day Anti,

No chance of me shoving one of these down you I was only able to track one 330ml bottle down. I'm not a huge fan of oysters myself though enjoyed this brew a hole lot.

Yes, those ESB's of yours can also be a little pale too, though it is beer I suppose.

If you would like a hand with bottling let me know I'd be quite happy to come around and clumsily get your road until you're forced to make me sit out of the way... whilst drinking your beer of couse.

Cheers

Archived