Coopers Community

M84 yeast bomb out(maybe)

sirbrewsalot

Hi all

I dropped two mangrove jack m84 yeast satchels in 20l of fresh wart kit. The wort kit is from the "All Inn" brewery and is there "Bill Murray Lager" which is usually the bomb.

I followed the directions which is to set the fridge between 10-15c but no movement overnight. I'm interested to hear if anyone else has tried this yeast and how long it takes to see signs of fermentation.

I usually use us05 with all the kits from All Inn but decided to use the specified type this time.

oh yeah and the yeast was out of date to the tune of 09/14, so almost a year.

Any info would be appreciated

thanks

Out of date yeast wouldn't be helping the situation. I actually googled reviews on that yeast when I started brewing all these Bohemian pilsners (which I have been using Wy2001 Urquell in) out of curiosity. A majority of them stated that they experienced a long lag time with M84, most of them around 2-3 days before it started showing any signs of activity.

I read similar things about Wy2001, including one that had it taking 4 weeks to hit FG. I have had longer lag times with it than I'm used to with ale yeasts (30-36 hours), but it's hitting FG in 8-10 days.

I would go and get another packet or two of fresh yeast, either the same one or US-05 and pitch that into it. At least this way you can be sure that the yeast is largely viable.

Edit: Is the 09/14 the best before date or the date of manufacture?

I would go and get another packet or two of fresh yeast' date=' either the same one or US-05 and pitch that into it. At least this way you can be sure that the yeast is largely viable.[/quote']

I thought M84 was a lager yeast, so US-05 seems an odd choice; especially for 10-15 degrees.

Give it another day (to 48 hrs in total). If still nothing, try some W34/70.

Well, yes in those temps it wouldn't work but I was working under some kind of magical assumption that if using it the temp would be raised a little higher. tongue Plus it was mentioned that this was the yeast of choice for all the previous FWKs.

Anyway, yes M84 is a Bohemian lager strain, and for some reason I completely forgot about W34/70 which is probably a better choice than US-05. cool My bad! innocent

Is there a chance of damaging the wort with a long delay?

If it got infected yes, if it doesn't get infected then I wouldn't think so.

Ordinarily I would agree about leaving it a bit longer, but given the yeast is nearly a year out of date, its viability is likely quite low so even if it did kick off, there wouldn't be enough of it to produce a healthy fermentation and you may end up with some funky flavours in the beer due to stressed yeast. Hence my suggestion to get some fresh yeast into it sooner rather than later.

fresh wart kit.

sick

But seriously, give a lager yeast more time than overnight. Wait a bit longer before adding any yeast. I know it was out of date but lager yeast can take a little time to get going. Also, visible activity can be neglible.

M84 is really good.

I have used it recently on 3 brews. First was 2 packets rehydrated and into 18° wort which was then set to 12°.

Took off in 12 hours.

Repitched into a high gravity wort and took off in less than that.

Past best before date yeast is really not a good idea. Better used as nutrient.

Thanks for the reply's Hairy and Ben 10. Unfortunately i'v only read your post now so on thursday night i dropped that coopers lager yeast in (which i'v heard is an ale yeast anyway). Next morning i had nothing again, it wasn't until this morning that she took off. Going great guns now, but i don't know which yeast has kicked in, bugger.

So that is from wednesday night to saturday morning, with the coopers yeast thrown in for good measure on thursday.

First time using a lager yeast...........fun times!!!

The white label coopers lager that came with the kit.

Originally i had the fridge at 12-14c (for the m84) then after putting the coopers yeast in i raised the temperature to about 18c.

24h later i had a thin layer of foam, then this morning she was going off.

Should i drop the temperature now she's taken off?

Archived