Coopers Community

John Palmer interview on Craig Tube

Magnaman

G'day Brewers, many here may know Craig Tube, many may not be fans for many reasons, but here is something of interest, a 1 hour 16 minute interview with John Palmer, lots of good info easy to understand from and informed source. wink

Cheers.

In my time over the last few years where I've stepped up my home brewing, I've watched countless videos & read enormous amounts of literature & to be fair of these two, primarily from John Palmer.

I think this meeting between the two was almost inevitable, so I'm really glad it has finally happened, & they have discussed home brewing on a level that most will benefit from.

I thought Craig's questions & approach was awesome. I thought John's retort & respect of all levels of home brewing was very candid at times & above all else, equally awesome, informative, insightful & very respectful given his current level of brewing expertise.

I'll go as far to say as I feel this is the BEST bridging video I've seen to help those that are starting out & asking a lot of questions about a great many things, & the BEST answers you're likely get to those questions in a verbal form.

Hi praise, & a MUST watch for those who wish to understand & improve the quality of their beers.

In case you forgot the link...

Great grab Magnaman. Hats off. cool

Lusty.

• 1 month later...
G'day Brewers' date=' have any here had a look at this? It is worth the effort. [img']wink[/img]

Cheers.

Hi Magnaman. I watched it and found it instructional. Because Craig was the one interviewing him, they talked a lot about kit brewing, and how to get the best from them. For example, I had always heard if you use a kit and your water tastes good, it will be fine to use, and not to worry about water. But John said that with pre-hopped kits you really ought to use low mineral water to dilute it. Since the manufacturer has already added minerals during production, if you use hard water it dulls malt character, especially for pale ales, and also makes hop bitterness coarse and harsh. Back when we lived in the city our water came from an aquifer and I noticed this periodically, so I already started mixing it with RO water before we moved. Now we live in the country and get our water from a well. Because it tastes great I used it initially, but six month ago I began using 100% RO water as an experiment. I had been thinking about switching back to well water, because it is a pain to have to lug RO water from the store, and it also adds to the cost, but after hearing the interview I won't be going back to well water.

John also spoke on the difference between cold steeping and mashing specialty grains. It is the best explanation I have heard so far. I like the ease of cold steeping and will still use this method, especially when I am using larger amounts of roasted grains, but the interview has convinced me to start doing more partial mashes. So far I have only done a couple, quite frankly because they intimidate me and I had a bad experience with the first one. But now I am determined to figure out a way to do them that I can live with (fast and super easy).

And there were more good things in the interview. Worth a listen.

Archived