Coopers Community

Cyclones Marcia and Lam

Brownsworthy

They copped it in the NT, and time will tell how bad the aftermath will be. Hope all are safe, a bit less population density then where the cyclone has hit in QLD.

Severe Tropical Cyclone Marcia has crossed the coast as a category 5 and is headed at this time for Rockhampton, all the best, hope you stay safe.

TROPICAL CYCLONE FORECAST TRACK MAP

Yep, I'm with you all in hoping all turns out OK for everyone affected. I've only been directly involved in one cyclone (and that was only a Category 3) but it scared the bejeepers out of me -- even though I had to look calm for the sake of Brunhilda.

The worst part may well be the following week or so without power or clean water etc etc. And of course the bloody cleanup!

Good luck to all.

I sat through Larry, knocked out power for three days.

Fortunately we got through without damage.

There was one that went over work last year too - I was there at the time. HEAPS of rain, not much of anything else though. Home was untouched by that one.

All the best to anyone involved.

You might have met the notorious Brunhilda. She was part of the CentreLink Emergency Response team and spent about weeks up there. She was easy to identify since she was the only one with a chauffeur-driven double-B.

Actually, she only stuck to the coastal regions north and south of Innisfail. But she came back with some very funny stories. Like when General Cosgrove arrived by plane and insisted on driving himself to one of the emergency relief centres, where he promptly drove the new 4WD into the tow bar of a semi, bending it. To this day I'm still not sure if he knows, but a senior police officer immediately detailed one of his men to drive him around so he wouldn't stuff up any more important equipment; he probably just thought he must have been very important to have a driver assigned to him.lol

Archived