Coopers Community

So I Did Something For Someone....

ben 10

Sneaky early taste of the Saison and the yeast is good.

antiphile I know you don't like Saisons but you should buy the yeast for yourself and try it.

Very very nice.

Mild funk, nice highlighting of the malt character of the Munich I used.

Good Evening, Vitamin B10

To be absolutely truthful, I'm not certain I dislike saison or not. One of the very few things I do know is a kit saison was one of the very early brews before I had any concept of (and certainly no facility for) real temperature control. It would have been very late November or in December; and to top it off, I was carelessly impatient to drink it after bottling back then. so it would be surprising if it lasted a fortnight before they started being opened. I do remember finding the second carton several months later and thinking it wasn't nearly as awful as I remembered. But the early ones were nothing to be proud of and I think that clouded my judgement of saisons.

The time has probably come to dip a toe in the water again, but I'll start with a small step first. It won't be too funky, and I'm thinking of Yeast Bay Funktown Pale Ale. If that drinks well, then it'll be time for a proper saison.

Thanks for the encouragement and cheers

Phil

Now that's impressive. Just thinking out loud (since I've only used liquid yeast about half a dozen times so far), could that be a common feature of liquid yeasts?

I remember the Oktoberfest/Marzen (WPL820) came with an advisory that it was a slow beginner in the first generation, and it certainly was even with very thorough aeration and a stepped 2 litre starter. But not all yeasts come with that warning, including the WPL Pacific Ale.

I'm just trying to find a sensible explanation for "why is it so?" Where's Professor JSM when you need him?

I think there may be some truth to that P2. Maybe it's in the rehydration that you gain some lag time?

I pitched a jar of 1469 slurry into a stout 4 hours ago and I can see the build up on the surface beginning. I love this yeast, but to be honest I am sick of the bloody mess it makes. My plan is to fill the blow off bottle with sterile water this time to catch the yeast. Last time I had 2 inches thick in the bottom of a 2L flagon. Thick and clean. Just like me after a shower.

I did my first saison for the summer season up here back in April. It was the Petite saison de ete kit from Northern Brewer with the optional WY3711 French saison liquid yeast. It came out golden with an amber blush to it. After aging some 4 months, it tasted more like a lager with that typical farmhouse ale barnyard funk on the back. Pretty good I'd say. What bugged me was the fact that the French saison yeast at higher temps was supposed to produce a peppery ester. Only tasted a little of it on the back in a few bottles after 3-4 months aging?...

Archived