Coopers Community

Australian Brewery

Guzz

Had to share this.....

After a reminder in another post from Hairy, that I am just down the road from the Australian Brewery, it got me thinking.

So I went on down with a mind to try out a few or all of their beers they had on tap.

They had about 6 of their beers on tap, so decided on starting with the Pale Ale.

The flavour knocked my socks off! I would go as far as to say its best beer on tap Ive had in years if not ever! So after finishing it, I looked at all theirs beers on tap and ordered.....The Pale Ale again, simply could not resist, I had to have another, and a third and fourth!.

So my plan on trying all their beers is out the window.

Anyways, while I was enjoying the 4 Pale Ales, I chucked 50 in the pokies, pulled out $150, then I conveniently remembered reading (earlier today) that the Australian Brewery is putting their beer in cans (yes cans, apparently the only? craft brewer in Australia to do so.)

Aaaaanyway, asked the barman if he could give me case of mixed beers so I can try a few more of em and he was happy to oblige.

A little pricey, but hey, the Pale Ale had seduced me and I would have paid double what he was asking (due to my small windfall from their pokies).

Trying an "Extra Hoppy Ale" right now, which is very tasty, but not sure all the taste is hops, very good nonetheless. Don't even know what else is in the case yet, bring it on!

Love Coopers, always will, but if you are ever anywhere near the Australian Brewery drop in and try the Pale Ale from the tap. I plan on doing their "Brewery Tour" asap.

All this is inspiration for me to brew great beer in the future, If anyone has a recipe that makes a beer anything close the Australian Brewery Pale Ale, please let me know.

Cheers

Greg

It's a nice little brewery there. Plus you can refill growlers for about $14 which is great value.

The pale ale is hopped with galaxy and it isn't a bad drop. I don't have a clone recipe but if you make a pale ale and hop it with galaxy then you will get in the ballpark.

They used to have a Smoked IPA which was a great drop. I made a beer based on that and it would easily be the best beer I have brewed. I only have one bottle left though crying

They have a new seasonal release being an amber lager called Rebel Rouser but I am yet to try this. I may have to organise a weekend lunch there shortly wink

Also, I like beer in cans. They are harder to pour into a glass but they taste fresh. Mountain Goat canned their Summer Ale which was a nice refreshing summer beer; perfect for camping.

Ok, in the mixed case of 16 cans @355mls was:

4 x Pale Ale = Love it, from the can it is "almost as good as from the tap"

4 Mexican Lager = Not buying this one again, weak as piss.

4x Extra Hoppy Ale = Not bad, only had one, needs more hops ? :)

4 x Pilsener = Havent tried it yet (gimme a minute, crikies!!)

The taste of the Pale Ale is definatley Passionfruit, if Galaxy does that to a beer it's my new favourite hop !!

This beer screams passionfruit and I friggin love it!

Let me know when your going to the Aus Brewery Hairy and Ill buy ya one :)

Weekdays, lunch is good for me, or if ya that way inclined, every 2nd Saturday night is girls night out, it will make your eyes hurt (or bleed), I guarantee it!

Interesting that they have adopted the "Pacific Pale Ale" name & the galaxy hops to go with it in their beer.

I wonder what Stone & Wood think about that? whistling

Cheers' date='

Anthony.[/quote']

I have never seen it referred to Pacific Pale Ale. It is called The Pale Ale. A bit presumptuous, I know.

Interesting that they have adopted the "Pacific Pale Ale" name & the galaxy hops to go with it in their beer.

I wonder what Stone & Wood think about that? whistling

Cheers' date='

Anthony.[/quote']

I see on the can that its says:

Style: Pacific Pale Ale

Inspiration From: Australia

I want to try this...Pacific Pale Ale.

Ok' date=' in the mixed case of 16 cans @355mls was:

4 x Pale Ale = Love it, from the can it is "almost as good as from the tap"

4 Mexican Lager = Not buying this one again, weak as piss.

4x Extra Hoppy Ale = Not bad, only had one, needs more hops ? :)

4 x Pilsener = Havent tried it yet (gimme a minute, crikies!!)

The taste of the Pale Ale is definatley [b']Passionfruit[/b], if Galaxy does that to a beer it's my new favourite hop !!

This beer screams passionfruit and I friggin love it!

Let me know when your going to the Aus Brewery Hairy and Ill buy ya one :)

Weekdays, lunch is good for me, or if ya that way inclined, every 2nd Saturday night is girls night out, it will make your eyes hurt (or bleed), I guarantee it!

Galaxy is definitely passionfruit; my first beer I made with it tasted like Paasiona out of the fermenter. It is great when used properly.

I had an Australian Brewery Pilsener a couple of weeks ago. It is quite a nice, hoppy Pilsener.

But I agree with you about the Mexican Lager. But I guess it is true to style biggrin

Australian Brewery: Our Beer & Cider (scroll down to the Pale Ale references).

Cheers' date='

Anthony.[/quote']

That's not the name they use, it's just a made up style they use. See, you don't have to be restricted to the BJCP guidelines. Although isn't the Pacific Ocean on the west coast of the USA? Or does Australia have a monopoly on the use of the term 'Pacific'?

...it's just a made up style they use. See' date=' you don't have to be restricted to the BJCP guidelines. Although isn't the Pacific Ocean on the west coast of the USA? Or does Australia have a monopoly on the use of the term 'Pacific'?[/quote']

It looks to be a new "TAG" the AUS/NZ craft breweries are using to promote their beers & create a difference between themselves & the larger commercial breweries in their respective countries that promote themselves as "Australian" or "New Zealand" produced beer.

As a global marketing strategy, it's pretty clever, & I wish them ALL well. cool

Cheers,

Anthony.

The pale ale is hopped with galaxy and it isn't a bad drop. I don't have a clone recipe but if you make a pale ale and hop it with galaxy then you will get in the ballpark.

Looking through my records, I have a batch of "Rapid Creek Pale Ale" that I hopped with Galaxy. 33 days in the bottle, will try it this week.

It can't be that easy, surely!

Hopefully it will be good, and something I can work on :)

Nope, it's not that easy!

Tried it tonight.

Turned out absolutely nothing like it.

It's much darker, cannot find even a hint of passionfruit.

The head, initially was great, compact bubbles, but the head dissappeared pretty quickly, nice lacing though, which I havent seen much of in my beers yet.

I think I will try it with the Coopers Pale Ale and more Galaxy.

I had used: 500g Spray Dried Light Malt Extract, 250g Maltodextrin and 250g Dextrose.

Maybe if I ask nicely, the head brewer or someone here will give me some ideas on trying to replicate (or come closer to) the Australian Brewery “The Pale Ale” ?

Hi Greg H.

A good move. happy

Try a steep of 20gms of galaxy in 2-3 of litres of 70°C (cooled from boiling) water' date=' combined with 200-250gms of LDM for 30 minutes, then strain into your fermenter with the rest of your ingredients before pitching your yeast. After fermentation has died down, add another 25gms of galaxy wrapped in a mesh "chux" cloth or something similar, for 3-4 days prior to bottling.

You'll get a nice influence from the galaxy with that method. [img']wink[/img]

Good luck with your next brew.

Anthony.

Hi Greg H.

A good move. happy

Try a steep of 20gms of galaxy in 2-3 of litres of 70°C (cooled from boiling) water' date=' combined with 200-250gms of LDM for 30 minutes, then strain into your fermenter with the rest of your ingredients before pitching your yeast. After fermentation has died down, add another 25gms of galaxy wrapped in a mesh "chux" cloth or something similar, for 3-4 days prior to bottling.

Anthony.

This would be nice.

It would also be nice to add to the kit:

500g Light Dry Malt

300-500g Dry Wheat Malt

200g Dextrose

And if you like using grain then 250g light crystal would go well too.

Hi Greg H.

A good move. happy

Anthony.

This would be nice.

It would also be nice to add to the kit:

500g Light Dry Malt

300-500g Dry Wheat Malt

200g Dextrose

And if you like using grain then 250g light crystal would go well too.

Some level of un-hopped malt inclusion was a given with my comments.

But a BIG +1 to Hairy's suggestion. cool

I'd brew it.

Cheers,

Anthony.

I contacted the head brewer and just asked him for the recipe.

To my surprise he gave me very detailed info, including a recipe file for "Promash" brewing software.

He said "for your eyes only" so I can't put it up here.

It goes to show that if you have a favourite craft beer, you may be able to get the recipe from them by just asking, I would have thought they were well guarded secrets, but the friendly head brewer was very heplful to say the least.

( I did mention this is another recent post, sorry for double posting, but thought it was very relevant to this thread)

Cheers

• 7 months later...

i tried the A.B pale ale recently and it was this bear that has inspired me to return to home brewing.

i am trying to clone this beer using both galaxy and cascade with both coopers apa, and coopers english bitter. hopefully i can give some good feedback on a positive result in time to come.

cheers and beers,

lindsey.

I've avoided this place like the plague ever since I saw the type of crowds it attracts on a Friday/Saturday night... I assume you must have visited during the day?

I'm going to have to pick up a 4 pack of these cans from my local Dan's and give them a try I think...

When I tried this beer I could not believe... how politely can I put this.. how 'inspired' it was by Stone and Wood Pacific Ale. Its basically a clone. A rip off? Maybe. Especially since they even call it a 'Pacific Pale Ale'.

And now that Mountain Goat has its Summer Ale, and Feral has Sly Fox, which are both also pseudo clones of the S&W Pacific Ale, a friend and I decided to do a blind taste test of all four.

E09957BC-A110-4623-B6AE-B69F09061CF1_zpsxobd6ssx.jpg

Going back on my notes - both my friend and I blind rated them best to worst in order of -

1. Stone and Wood Pacific Ale. The original in the style and still the freshest and the best.

2. Feral Sly Fox

3. Mountain Goat Summer Ale

4. Australian Brewery Pale Ale

So there you go. One of you guys should do the same and see what you come up with!

I hadn't had a S&W Pacific Ale for a long time and bought a couple last weekend. I remember it being a really strong galaxy flavour but this time I found it more subdued. Still a nice, easy drinking beer though.

I like the Feral Sly Fox and would put that up with it.

But I agree with the AB Pale Ale. I find the bittering a bit harsh in that beer.

I guess if a pale beer is made predominantly with Galaxy hops it will exhibit flavours found in the original Pacific ale. Whether intended or not. I agree it's not as good as Stone and Wood, but it wasn't bad. My biggest complaint wasn't with the flavor but the way over carbonation in it. Couldn't pour it without creating half a glass of foam and the bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass were insane. Way more vigorous than usual. The pilsner was fine with the gas. Maybe I just got a dud batch lol

Archived