Coopers Community

any fishing freaks here?

not so newb now

Hi Skookum.

Yup!

Trout fishing on a fly is my game.

Given the temperatures year round in your inland lakes & ponds, I doubt you have much choice in the fish you can catch unless you deep sea fish. As one naive to Canadian inland fishing, what other eatable varieties are available to catch in this environment?

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hi Skookum.
Yup!

Trout fishing on a fly is my game.

Given the temperatures year round in your inland lakes & ponds' date=' I doubt you have much choice in the fish you can catch unless you deep sea fish. As one naive to Canadian inland fishing, what other eatable varieties are available to catch in this environment?

Cheers,

Anthony.[/quote']

Hey Lusty,

Canada is (I'm sure you know) a huge place! I live in western Canada (I know you know) where the rivers are wild and cold and the lake are usually relatively small and cold. This is prime habitat for trout of various species. The rivers often hold Pacific Salmon (if there is no dam on the river. The river that I live on is the Columbia river which happens to be one of the largest rivers in western North America. Unfortunately the Columbia has 14 major dams on it so the Salmon have been kinda scarce around here for about 70 years. I live very close to the head waters which is around 2000 Km from the the Pacific.

If you leave the Mountains and head east across the prairies the lakes get more numerous, larger and sometimes warmer. in these lakes you with find trout of varying species but you with also find fish like Northern pike, Bass, Walleye (the undisputed best tasting fish in Canada), Perch, Muskellunge, etc. The trout are found in the the deepest and coldest lakes where the other scecies are generally found in the warmer shallower parts of the like. Lures, bait and flies are all common forms of tackle.

I grew up in eastern Canada fishing all these species as well as Steelhead and Pacific Salmon which are introduce to theGreat Lakes and their tributaries.

Yadda, yadda, yadda!

Anyways, you asked!smile

No "yadda yadda yadda" necessary Chad. wink

Any lead-in chance I get to poke you with a stick that causes you to elaborate a little further on what life is like, what conditions are like, what experiences you have had living in your part of the world etc. is worth any ridicule I might receive in return. I really enjoy reading every bit of it! cool

Thanks for the insight(s). happy

Cheers,

Anthony.

Adelaide based.. and born in Port Lincoln and grew up in Coffin bay...

ill let you work out what my hobbies are when thinking of those locations ;)

Let me guess; Port Lincoln and Coffin Bay.

You are a vampire hunter.

Del's Hobbies

I went fishing today not far from Bobbin Head in Ku-ring-gai. Caught plenty of fish but nothing big enough to keep. The fishing is pretty average in and around Sydney crying

just back from a week at yorks catching kgs up to 50cm and gar up to 43cm plenty of squid and tomy ruffs(Australian herring) dropped 1 nice bronze whaler about 5ft long and got bounced around just about every day due to the wind but had a great trip and some good family time. great to hear there are some like minded nutters here fishing or not hahaha.

Archived